1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Resistance Problems (Circuits)

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    15. (II) A close inspection of an electrical circuit reveals that a 480-Ω resistor was inadvertently soldered in the place where a 320-Ω resistor is needed. How can this be fixed without removing anything from the existing circuit?

16. (II) Two resistors when connected in series to a 110-V line use one fourth the power that is used when they are connected in parallel. If one resistor is 1.6-kΩ, what is the resistance of the other?

2. Relevant equations
    P=IV
    V=IR
    Rt (series) = R1+R1...
    Rt (paralell) = (1/R1 + 1/R2...)^-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]

This isn't homework; just going through every problem in my Physics book for the upcoming exam =p.

For 15, the back of the book says it's 960-Ω, not sure why? I'm getting a different answer. Maybe someone can clarify as to why.

For 16, I'm pretty sure I did it completely wrong heh =p.

P=IV, I = V / Rt

P(series) = 4*P(parallel)

(V/Rts) * V = 4*[ (V/Rtp) * V ]
    Rts = 1600-Ω + x-Ω
    Rtp = [(1/1600-Ω) + (1/x-Ω) ]^-1

V^2 / Rts = 4*[V^2/Rtp]

Solving for X, Maple spits out --> -1400-200*I*sqrt(15), -1400+200*I*sqrt(15) Which both seems extremely highly unlikely =p.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Well for question 15, you used 420 ohms instead of 480 ohms in your calculation!

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. May 6, 2007 #3
    Doh! Haha, that could be the problem =p.

It helps to read carefully :s.

5. May 6, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

I read it as P(series) = 0.25*P(parallel), which is the other way around from what you have. I have a solution, here's how I set it up:

For series circuit:

Since the current will be the same in both resistors, the power can be expressed as

[tex]P = I^2R = I_s^2(R_1 + R_2)[/tex] where Is is the current in the series circuit.

For the parallel circuit:

The voltage across each resistor will be the same, so the total power will be (with a little simplifying)

[tex]P_p =\frac{V^2}{R_1} + \frac{V^2}{R_2} = \frac{V^2(R_1+R_2)}{R_1R_2}[/tex]

You will also need to use the relation [tex]V=I_sR_T = I_s (R_1+R_2)[/tex]

Since the power used by the series circuit is 0.25 that of the parallel, you can relate the two expressions and solve for R2. No Maple should be needed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?