1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Rotational Motion Questions

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    The first one:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) A compact disc (CD) stores music in a coded pattern of tiny pits 10^-7 m deep. The pits are arranged in a track that spirals outward toward the rim of the disc; the inner and outer radii of this spiral are 25.0 mm and 58.0 mm , respectively. As the disc spins inside a CD player, the track is scanned at a constant linear speed of 1.25 m/s. What is the average angular acceleration of a maximum-duration CD during its 74.0-min playing time? Take the direction of rotation of the disc to be positive.

2. Relevant equations

alpha_avg = (omega_2 - omega_1) / (t2 - t1)
    omega_inner = 50.0 rad/s
    omega_outer = 21.6 rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to take the average of the inner and outer angular velocities, and put that in for omega_2, and find the average that way, but I don't think I can do that.

The second one:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) At t = 0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 27.0 rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 26.0 rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t = 2.00 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433 rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration. At what time did it stop?

2. Relevant equations

omega_2 = omega_1 + alpha * t
    delta_2 - delta_1 = omega_1 * t + 0.5 * alpha * t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using a system of equations using the two equations above to solve for t, but I can't seem to get the right t value.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated on either problem. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

For the first problem, your omega_inner and omega_outer look good to me. Why not just take (omega_outer - omega_inner)/(74*60)... that should be the answer.

For the second problem, think of the angular velocity and acceleration, just like kinematics formulas...

What is the angular velocity at t = 2?

Then you can use the equation,

angle traversed = [(omega_1 + omega_2)/2]*t, so solve for how long it takes to go through the 433 rad...

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    Ok, thanks so much for your help. It makes more sense this way, than the way I initially tried to tackle the problems.
    Thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?