Two Similar Limits with Different Results

• MHB
  • Thread starter Velo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle with solving limits, specifically for two similar exercises where x tends to positive and negative infinity. The first exercise was solved correctly by applying usual steps and replacing x with positive infinity. However, the second exercise, where x tends to negative infinity, was solved incorrectly using the same steps and the solution should be -3. Different approaches, such as substitution and dividing by x, can be used to solve these types of limits.
Velo
So, I'm still struggling with limits a bit.. Today, I've tried solving two different exercises which look pretty much the same. I could solve the first one relatively easily:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{+\infty}}\frac{\sqrt{4x^{2}-1}-x}{x-3}\)

I applied the usual steps and arrived to the expression:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{+\infty}}\frac{3-\frac{1}{x^2}}{\sqrt{4-\frac{1}{x^2}}+1-3\sqrt{\frac{4}{x}-\frac{1}{x^3}}-\frac{3}{x}}\)

Then, by replacing x with \(\displaystyle +\infty\), the answer was 1, which was correct according to my solution sheet. The second exercise is the same as above, but \(\displaystyle x\) tends to \(\displaystyle -\infty\) instead of \(\displaystyle +\infty\). I did the same steps I used in the first exercise, and arrived at the same answer. However, the solution for the second exercise is supposed to be -3 , not 1. I'm unsure of when the \(\displaystyle -\infty\) affects the expression here since it's always in the bottom part of a fraction, and so both \(\displaystyle +\infty\) and \(\displaystyle -\infty\) should make the fraction tend to 0. The second exercise:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}\frac{\sqrt{4x^{2}-1}-x}{x-3}\)

Thanks for any help in advanced!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have moved your thread here to our "Pre-Calculus" forum, as this is where we want threads regarding simple limits to be.

For the first limit, I would write:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to+\infty}\frac{\sqrt{4x^{2}-1}-x}{x-3}=\lim_{x\to+\infty}\left(\frac{\sqrt{4x^{2}-1}-x}{x-3}\cdot\frac{\dfrac{1}{x}}{\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)=\lim_{x\to+\infty}\frac{\sqrt{4-\dfrac{1}{x^2}}-1}{1-\dfrac{3}{x}}=\frac{2-1}{1}=1\)

For the second limit, let's use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=-x\)

and the limit becomes:

\(\displaystyle -\lim_{u\to+\infty}\frac{\sqrt{4u^{2}-1}+u}{u+3}=-\lim_{u\to+\infty}\left(\frac{\sqrt{4u^{2}-1}+u}{u+3}\cdot\frac{\dfrac{1}{u}}{\dfrac{1}{u}}\right)=-\lim_{u\to+\infty}\frac{\sqrt{4-\dfrac{1}{u^2}}+1}{1+\dfrac{3}{u}}=-\frac{2+1}{1}=-3\)

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I created the post in the wrong forum btw, I wasn't sure where limits would go to :S

Also, hm.. Should we always use the substitution method to make the variable tend to \(\displaystyle +\infty\) instead of \(\displaystyle -\infty\)? Or is there something about that particular limit that makes that the most viable option?

Another approach:

Start with

$$\lim_{x\to-\infty}\dfrac{\sqrt{4x^2-1}-x}{x-3}$$

Divide top and bottom by $x$:

$$\lim_{x\to-\infty}\dfrac{\dfrac{\sqrt{4x^2-1}}{x}-1}{1-\dfrac3x}$$

Now, to bring $x$ under the radical in the numerator, we square and take the square root but that is the absolute value of $x$, so we put a minus sign in front of the radical since $x$ tends to $-\infty$:

$$\lim_{x\to-\infty}\dfrac{-\dfrac{\sqrt{4x^2-1}}{\sqrt{x^2}}-1}{1-\dfrac3x}=-3$$

Another interesting limit problem specifically for this one is what if x approaches 3?
Negative infinity if \(\displaystyle x\to 3^-\) and positive infinity if \(\displaystyle x\to 3^+\). So if \(\displaystyle x\to 3\) then DNE.

What are two similar limits with different results?

Two similar limits with different results are limits that have the same form or expression, but approach different values as the independent variable approaches a certain value.

Why do two similar limits have different results?

Two similar limits can have different results because the functions involved may have different behaviors or properties near the point of interest. For example, one function may have a removable discontinuity while the other does not, leading to different limits.

How can I determine the limit of a function with different results?

To determine the limit of a function with different results, you can use various techniques such as evaluating the function at certain values, graphing the function, or using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression.

What is the importance of understanding two similar limits with different results?

Understanding two similar limits with different results is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics as it helps us identify and analyze the different behaviors of functions. This knowledge also allows us to better understand the properties of functions and make predictions about their behavior.

How can I avoid confusion between two similar limits with different results?

To avoid confusion between two similar limits with different results, it is important to carefully examine the functions involved and understand their behaviors near the point of interest. Additionally, it can be helpful to graph the functions or use numerical approximations to verify the limit values.