Two-Stage Gearbox for Industrial 10:1 Ratio: Advantages

  • Thread starter Thread starter cabellos6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Industrial Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cabellos6
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
For an industrial parallel axis gearbox with a transmission ratio 10:1, what is the reasoning behind the use of 2 stages rather than a single stage?

The one I can think of is the reduction in size of the gears using 2-stage as opposed to a single stage, thus reducing costs.

Are there any others?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Also think about the load on a tooth if it is driving a ratio of 10:1 compared to 2:1
 
I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that it would also ease heat build-up in the lubricant. That would be a result of the tooth-load that Mgb mentioned, in that the friction heat would be spread over a larger volume of oil.
 
Relative direction of shaft rotation. (Input versus output.)