1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type of circuit -- What would you call this?

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    php0fgk3k-png.194932.png

2. Relevant equations

No relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Trying to figure out what type of circuit this is. As far as i can tell its just a circuit with voltage, inductors, and resistance and a switch
    Only thing is i dont know what type of circuit this would be called.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

One way to classify circuits with reactive elements (inductors, capacitors) is to distinguish them by the number of independent reactive elements. By independent I mean that they can't be combined and reduced to single reactive elements of the same type (by combining parallel or series connected inductors, or parallel or series connected capacitors). Then you can call the circuit a "first order", "second order",etc., circuit.

The above circuit would be a second order circuit. You can expect a second order differential equation to arise if you need to solve analytically for the transient response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted