1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type of Grad School I Can Get Into?

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Hi all, I'm curious to see what graduate schools you think I may be able get into for a MSEE. Brief overview of myself:

• Electrical Engineering major, 20 years old, male
    • College Senior at a State School (Public) - Ranked around 60th in traditional college rankings... graduation date: May 09
    • Current Overall GPA: 3.32, Major GPA: 3.8... I expect my overall to be a 3.4 or 3.5 when I graduate.
    • In my EE and CompE courses, I have done really well... it was the freshman chemistry and economics courses which brought my grade down initially. I have mostly A-'s, then A's, then two Bs in 2 EE courses.
    • Lowest grades on transcript: D in Microeconomics, C in Chemistry, C in Calculus I (however I got an A in Calc II), no Fs or Withdrawals W.
    • Clear improvement from freshman year onwards... didn't start out that great, but as soon as sophomore year, my grades went up drastically to As and A-'s.
    • Many leadership positions within campus groups... VP, board positions, etc.
    • Will have 2 summer internships with big-name companies and 1 co-op experience with another big name company
    • No research experience
    • Maybe 5 semesters of Dean's List Recognitions by the time I graduate. I have 3 right now.
    • 2 TA positions at the undergraduate level
    • Good recommendations from a few professors
    • Fluent in English, no TOEFL required. GRE - I'm expecting average to good scores... never been that great of a standardized test taker

I know there are a lot of schools, but would anyone mind giving me a brief list of colleges that are within my range? Thanks!!
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
  4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks... I've already applied and visited the campus, it was beautiful.

Any others?
  5. May 22, 2008 #4
    I think you miss my point.

When you apply to grad school, they don't put your stats into a wee little calculator that spits out a smile or a frown. You compete against the current applicant pool, and your application is evaluated by humans who do human things like accept a less qualified applicant with a unique personal history. Thus, there is absolutely no way whatsoever for anyone on here to give you a list of schools that you are qualified to attend.
  6. May 22, 2008 #5
    First off, I realize that there isn't a program where they enter my stats and tell me if I'm in or not. I'm asking for a list of schools that are within my range. There are definitely some schools where I can almost get in, many schools that are of reach, and a few that can go either way... Perhaps someone else knows someone with similar stats that I have and can at least say that he or she got admitted to that school.

So... a response like this might help: "MIT is probably not a choice, since your GPA is low and no research experience. They require a very high GPA into their programs and having no research experience, when most students do, is not going to help."

Thats the type of response I'm looking for, rather than:

You can get into:
    College 1
    College 2
    College 3

You cannot get into:
    College 4
    College 5
    College 6

Got it?
  7. May 23, 2008 #6
    I say a school like University of Texas you would be able to get in, but a school like Rice, probably not.
  8. May 24, 2008 #7
    How about UMich? Penn State? USC? GTech? UIUC?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?