Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type of Grad School I Can Get Into?

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Hi all, I'm curious to see what graduate schools you think I may be able get into for a MSEE. Brief overview of myself:

• Electrical Engineering major, 20 years old, male
    • College Senior at a State School (Public) - Ranked around 60th in traditional college rankings... graduation date: May 09
    • Current Overall GPA: 3.32, Major GPA: 3.8... I expect my overall to be a 3.4 or 3.5 when I graduate.
    • In my EE and CompE courses, I have done really well... it was the freshman chemistry and economics courses which brought my grade down initially. I have mostly A-'s, then A's, then two Bs in 2 EE courses.
    • Lowest grades on transcript: D in Microeconomics, C in Chemistry, C in Calculus I (however I got an A in Calc II), no Fs or Withdrawals W.
    • Clear improvement from freshman year onwards... didn't start out that great, but as soon as sophomore year, my grades went up drastically to As and A-'s.
    • Many leadership positions within campus groups... VP, board positions, etc.
    • Will have 2 summer internships with big-name companies and 1 co-op experience with another big name company
    • No research experience
    • Maybe 5 semesters of Dean's List Recognitions by the time I graduate. I have 3 right now.
    • 2 TA positions at the undergraduate level
    • Good recommendations from a few professors
    • Fluent in English, no TOEFL required. GRE - I'm expecting average to good scores... never been that great of a standardized test taker

I know there are a lot of schools, but would anyone mind giving me a brief list of colleges that are within my range? Thanks!!

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks... I've already applied and visited the campus, it was beautiful.

Any others?

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    I think you miss my point.

When you apply to grad school, they don't put your stats into a wee little calculator that spits out a smile or a frown. You compete against the current applicant pool, and your application is evaluated by humans who do human things like accept a less qualified applicant with a unique personal history. Thus, there is absolutely no way whatsoever for anyone on here to give you a list of schools that you are qualified to attend.

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    First off, I realize that there isn't a program where they enter my stats and tell me if I'm in or not. I'm asking for a list of schools that are within my range. There are definitely some schools where I can almost get in, many schools that are of reach, and a few that can go either way... Perhaps someone else knows someone with similar stats that I have and can at least say that he or she got admitted to that school.

So... a response like this might help: "MIT is probably not a choice, since your GPA is low and no research experience. They require a very high GPA into their programs and having no research experience, when most students do, is not going to help."

Thats the type of response I'm looking for, rather than:

"
    You can get into:
    College 1
    College 2
    College 3

You cannot get into:
    College 4
    College 5
    College 6
    "

Got it?

7. May 23, 2008 #6
    I say a school like University of Texas you would be able to get in, but a school like Rice, probably not.

8. May 24, 2008 #7
    How about UMich? Penn State? USC? GTech? UIUC?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook