Type of microphone for capturing acoustic emissions

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorporation of acoustic data in detecting tool wear in an experimental manufacturing process similar to milling. The individual is seeking recommendations for a high frequency microphone for their research, as their knowledge of acoustic sensing is limited.
engineer23
I am currently trying to incorporate the sensing of tool wear as part of my research, which is an investigation into an experimental manufacturing process that is probably most similar to milling. I have already been making use of force data, but would like to utilize acoustic data as well (there are a number of papers on detecting tool wear in milling which record the acoustic signals and then transform the data using FFTs). I would like to do something similar to this, but am unsure of what is the best type of microphone to purchase.

Based on previous experiments with a very crude standard-issue microphone, I think I need something that is capable of capturing high frequencies. Does anyone have any recommendations with regard to products or vendors? I have been looking at piezoelectrics, intensity acoustic sensors, and ultrasonics. My knowledge of acoustic sensing is very limited, so any help you could offer is much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How can we answer that if you don't tell us how high is high?

A simple search for high frequency microphones finds many hits. Do none of those meet your requirements?

1. What is the best type of microphone for capturing acoustic emissions?

The best type of microphone for capturing acoustic emissions is a condenser microphone. This type of microphone has a flat frequency response and a high sensitivity, making it ideal for recording subtle acoustic emissions.

2. Can a dynamic microphone be used to capture acoustic emissions?

Yes, a dynamic microphone can also be used to capture acoustic emissions, but it may not be as sensitive as a condenser microphone. It is better suited for capturing louder and more dynamic sounds.

3. Is it necessary to use a specialized microphone for capturing acoustic emissions?

While it is not necessary, using a specialized microphone for capturing acoustic emissions can provide better results. These microphones are designed specifically for this purpose and have features such as a high-frequency response and low self-noise.

4. Does the size of the microphone affect its ability to capture acoustic emissions?

The size of the microphone does not necessarily affect its ability to capture acoustic emissions. However, smaller microphones may be more sensitive to high-frequency sounds, while larger microphones may have a higher dynamic range.

5. Can a microphone with a USB connection be used for capturing acoustic emissions?

Yes, a microphone with a USB connection can be used for capturing acoustic emissions. However, it is important to ensure that the microphone has a high-quality analog-to-digital converter to accurately capture the acoustic emissions.