Typesetting a tricky matrix in LaTeX

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in typesetting a partitioned 8x8 matrix in LaTeX. The matrix includes submatrices of different sizes and the main challenge is making the 4x4 matrix span the rows and columns. The conversation ends with a request for an elegant way to achieve this in LaTeX.
shomuban
I am trying to typeset the attached partitioned 8x8 matrix in LaTeX. I have drawn it without the parentheses with the columns and rows numbered. Submatrices I, 0, A, B, C, and D are 2X2 matrices while T is a 4X4 matrix. The main trouble I have is getting T to span the rows and columns. Is there any elegant way to do this in LaTeX?? Thank you!

Attachments

• Matrix.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\begin{array}{cc}
I_{2\times2} & 0_{2\times2} \\ 0_{2\times2} & I_{2\times2}\end{array} &
\begin{array}{cc}
A_{2\times2} & 0_{2\times2} \\ 0_{2\times2} & B_{2\times2}\end{array} \\
T_{4\times4} &
\begin{array}{cc}
C_{2\times2} & 0_{2\times2} \\ 0_{2\times2} & D_{2\times2}\end{array}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I typeset a matrix in LaTeX?

To typeset a matrix in LaTeX, you can use the matrix environment. Within this environment, you can specify the number of columns and the alignment of the entries. For example, \begin{matrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{matrix} will create a 2x2 matrix with entries a, b, c, and d.

2. How do I add parentheses or brackets to my matrix in LaTeX?

You can use the bmatrix, pmatrix, or vmatrix environments to add parentheses, brackets, or vertical bars to your matrix, respectively. For example, \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix} will create a matrix with square brackets around it.

3. Can I add labels or titles to my matrix in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \label and \caption commands to add a label and title, respectively, to your matrix. These commands work similarly to how they work for figures and tables in LaTeX.

4. How do I typeset a large or multi-line matrix in LaTeX?

If you have a large matrix that doesn't fit on one line, you can use the bmatrix*, pmatrix*, or vmatrix* environments to automatically break the matrix into multiple lines. Alternatively, you can use the array environment and specify the number of columns and alignment for each column.

5. Can I change the spacing or size of my matrix in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \setlength command to adjust the spacing between rows and columns in your matrix. You can also use the \left and \right commands to change the size of the parentheses, brackets, or bars around your matrix.