Typo in Landau mechanics pendulum problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a discrepancy in the calculation of the Lagrangian for a pendulum problem from Landau's mechanics. The original poster found a typo in the textbook and another user pointed out another typo and provided the correct solution.
Peeter

Homework Statement

Attempting a mechanics problem from Landau's mechanics (3rd edition) I get a different answer, as shown below. Error by me, or typo in the textbook? I can't find any errata page for the text, but since it's an older book, perhaps no such page is maintained.

Chapter 1 problem 3a is to calculate the Lagrangian of a pendulum where the point of support is moving in a circle (figure in this google books url).

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

The coordinates of the mass are

[tex]p = a e^{i \gamma t} + i l e^{i\phi},[/tex]

or in coordinates

[tex]p = (a \cos\gamma t + l \sin\phi, -a \sin\gamma t + l \cos\phi).[/tex]

The velocity is

[tex]\dot{p} = (-a \gamma \sin\gamma t + l \dot{\phi} \cos\phi, -a \gamma \cos\gamma t - l \dot{\phi} \sin\phi),[/tex]

and in the square
[tex]\dot{p}^2 = a^2 \gamma^2 + l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 - 2 a \gamma \dot{\phi} \sin\gamma t \cos\phi + 2 a \gamma l \dot{\phi} \cos \gamma t \sin\phi=a^2 \gamma^2 + l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 + 2 a \gamma l \dot{\phi} \sin (\gamma t - \phi).[/tex]

For the potential our height above the minimum is

[tex]h = 2a + l - a (1 -\cos\gamma t) - l \cos\phi = a ( 1 + \cos\gamma t) + l (1 - \cos\phi).[/tex]

In the potential the total derivative [itex]\cos\gamma t[/itex] can be dropped, as can all the constant terms, leaving

[tex]U = - m g l \cos\phi, [/tex]

so by the above the Lagrangian should be (after also dropping the constant term [itex]m a^2 \gamma^2/2[/itex]
[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{{2}} m \left( l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 + 2 a \gamma l \dot{\phi} \sin (\gamma t - \phi) \right) + m g l \cos\phi.[/tex]

This is almost the stated value in the text
[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{{2}} m \left( l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 + 2 a \gamma^2 l \sin (\gamma t - \phi) \right) + m g l \cos\phi.[/tex]

It looks like an innocent enough typo (text putting in a [itex]\gamma[/itex] instead of a [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex]). Also oddly, there's a second reference after that point that also doesn't make sense where they refer to the omission of the total derivative [itex]m l a \gamma \cos( \phi - \gamma t)[/itex] ... a term that I didn't have when multiplying out my velocity?

Is there consensus that there are a pair of typos here, and if not, can somebody spot the error in my calculation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation looks correct.

However, notice that the second term in the kinetic energy is:
[tex]
\begin{align}
& m a l \, \gamma \, \dot{\phi} \, \sin(\gamma t - \phi) \\
= & -m a l \, \gamma \, (\gamma - \dot{\phi}) \, \sin(\gamma t - \phi) + m a l \, \gamma^2 \, \sin(\gamma t - \phi) \\

= & \frac{d}{dt} \,\left(m a l \, \gamma \, \cos(\gamma t - \phi) \right) + m a l \, \gamma^2 \, \sin(\gamma t - \phi)
\end{align}
[/tex]
After dropping the total time derivative, you get the master's result.

Dickfore said:
After dropping the total time derivative, you get the master's result.

Very clever (of both you and the master;). Thanks!

1. What is a typo in the Landau mechanics pendulum problem?

A typo in the Landau mechanics pendulum problem refers to a mistake or error in the formulation of the problem, specifically in the equations or calculations used to solve it.

2. How can a typo affect the solution of the pendulum problem?

A typo in the pendulum problem can lead to incorrect results, making the solution invalid or inaccurate. It can also cause confusion and frustration for those trying to solve the problem.

3. Are typos common in scientific problems like the Landau mechanics pendulum?

Yes, typos can occur in any type of problem, including scientific ones. They are more likely to occur when dealing with complex equations or calculations, and can be easily overlooked during the editing process.

4. How can we identify and correct a typo in the Landau mechanics pendulum problem?

To identify and correct a typo in the pendulum problem, it is important to carefully check all equations and calculations for any inconsistencies or errors. It may also be helpful to have someone else review the problem for a fresh perspective.

5. Can a typo in the pendulum problem lead to significant changes in the results?

Yes, even a small typo can lead to significant changes in the results of the pendulum problem. This is why it is important to always double check for errors and make corrections as needed.