Tyres of a car lifting when turning left sharply....

In summary: The overall net force is not 0.In summary, when a car takes a sharp left turn, the left wheels rise due to a difference in torque created by the centrifugal force and friction acting at different heights. This difference is caused by the angular velocity of the wheels being the same, but the linear velocity of the right wheels being greater. Other forces, such as gravity, also contribute to the overall net force acting on the car.
Kavya Chopra

Homework Statement

Why do the left wheels of a car rise when it takes a sharp left turn (that is it lurches towards the right)?

Homework Equations

$$a_c= V^2/R$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by imagining the car as being a part of a very large ring, dx.
Since it's taking a left turn, velocity of right wheels are greater than that of left wheels, but being a ring, their angular velocity is the same.
After some calculations, I find that pseudo force on right wheels is greater than that on the left wheels.
Is that why it lurches towards the right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is a matter of torque in the car frame.

How so?

Consider the torque around the outer wheel. There are three forces contributing, gravity, the centrifugal force, and the normal force from the inner wheel.

Can't we use basic centrifugal force for this? My professor told me to think along these lines (we haven't done torque yet) and I just believe that I over complicated my explanation a bit, and that a centrifugal force is pushing the car outside.

Kavya Chopra said:
velocity of right wheels are greater than that of left wheels, but being a ring, their angular velocity is the same.
They have the same radius. If the linear velocity is greater the angular velocity must be too. But this is not relevant to the question.
Kavya Chopra said:
pseudo force on right wheels is greater than that on the left wheels.
That is not relevant either. It would just create some lateral tension within the vehicle.
Kavya Chopra said:
Can't we use basic centrifugal force for this?
Yes, but in conjunction with considering torque. As Orodruin posted, that is crucial.

Consider the height at which inertia acts (aka centrifugal force) and the height at which friction (which provides centripetal force) acts. The difference creates a torque. Make a drawing.

PS These aren't the only forces acting on the car (eg gravity).

1. Why do the tyres of a car lift when turning left sharply?

When a car turns, the weight of the vehicle shifts to the outside wheels, causing them to bear more of the load. This shift in weight, combined with the centrifugal force of the turn, can cause the inside wheels to lift off the ground.

2. Is it dangerous for the tyres to lift when turning left sharply?

While it may seem alarming, the lifting of the tyres is a normal occurrence during sharp turns. However, if the tyres lift too much or if the car is turning at a high speed, it can potentially lead to loss of control and accidents. It is important to take caution when turning sharply at high speeds.

3. Can the lifting of the tyres be prevented?

The lifting of the tyres can be minimized by maintaining proper tyre pressure, as over-inflated tyres are more likely to lift during turns. Additionally, having a lower centre of gravity in the car, such as with a lower suspension or heavier weight in the bottom of the car, can also help prevent excessive lifting.

4. Does the lifting of the tyres affect the performance of the car?

In most cases, the lifting of the tyres does not significantly affect the performance of the car. However, when the tyres lift, it decreases the amount of contact they have with the ground, which can slightly reduce the grip and handling of the car. This is why it is important to take precautions when turning sharply.

5. How can I improve the handling of my car when turning left sharply?

To improve handling and prevent the lifting of the tyres, it is important to have well-maintained tyres with proper pressure and tread. Additionally, practicing safe and controlled turns with proper steering and braking techniques can also help improve handling and prevent accidents.