U of T National Biology Competition

In summary, When looking for resources to do well on the U of T National Biology Competition, it is best to consult your own biology notes and textbook. It is not necessary to solely rely on previous contests that are available online, as the focus of the test may change each year. The test is designed to cover topics that are normally taught in high school, so studying your notes and textbook should be sufficient. However, if aiming for a higher score, it may be helpful to also use an undergraduate biology textbook. The test primarily covers definitions and concepts rather than calculations. Personal preparation methods may vary, but reading high school biology material should be enough to do well.
Roxy
Does anyone have any websites or books that will help me do good on the U of T National Biology Competition. Please post ANYTHING that you feel with help me. Here is the webiste if you want info about it : http://www.biocomp.utoronto.ca/index.htm

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I remember writing that, it was fun. Your own biology notes are probably your best source for information. And I would definitely consult your textbook on topics that you either haven't gotten to, if you are semestered and taking it in the second term, or if your notes are really thin. The contest isn't designed to go significantly above what would normally be taught in HS, mind you it does have some tough questions.

And don't get caught on the previous contests that they have online. The focues of the tests seem to change each year and trying to learn through the questions isn't the best method.

Is it more knowlede or application? Like do we have to know definitions and concepts or calculation?

And, if you don't mind me asking, How did you do on it?, How did you study?

I'm sorry about bumping this really old thread, but I did a search and this popped up and I didn't feel like starting a totally new thread because this is exactly what I was wanting to ask... (trails off; la di la) , but I'm interested in some information. I thought about maybe going through some SAT/AP books as well as the Campbell/Reece Biology 6th Edition book, but would like some first-hand information from people who actually did it. (And hopefully, did well :P)

How did you prepare? How did you study for it? What kind of things did you study?

look for any university undegrad...i remember taking that test and when the teacher said jack was in the top 99%(i think top 10) tile my heart was jumping erratically but i forgot there was another jack who took the test...our school placed pretty high...i got the most answers right from my school unfortunately i got the most questions wrong.

neurocomp2003 said:
look for any university undegrad...i remember taking that test and when the teacher said jack was in the top 99%(i think top 10) tile my heart was jumping erratically but i forgot there was another jack who took the test...our school placed pretty high...i got the most answers right from my school unfortunately i got the most questions wrong.
did you prepare much? if so, what did you do?

mmm i didn't prepare for it all too much, my fortes were phys/chem/math. reading your hs text/notes should suffice, but if your aiming high i'd consider grabbing an undergraduate textbook. Its more definitions then application. but they contest may have change i wrote it 6-7 years ago.

What is the U of T National Biology Competition?

The U of T National Biology Competition is an annual competition organized by the Department of Cell and Systems Biology at the University of Toronto. It aims to promote interest and excellence in biology among high school students across Canada.

Who is eligible to participate in the U of T National Biology Competition?

All high school students in Canada, including international students, are eligible to participate in the U of T National Biology Competition. There are different categories for different grade levels, ranging from grade 9 to grade 12.

How can I register for the U of T National Biology Competition?

Registration for the U of T National Biology Competition is done through your school. Your school's biology teacher or science department will have the necessary information and registration forms. If your school does not participate, you can also register as an individual competitor.

What is the format of the U of T National Biology Competition?

The U of T National Biology Competition consists of a multiple-choice test, with 30 questions for each grade level. The test covers a variety of topics in biology, including cell biology, genetics, evolution, and ecology. The competition is typically held in April, and students have two hours to complete the test.

What are the prizes for the U of T National Biology Competition?

The top three students in each grade level will receive a cash prize, and the top 25% of students in each grade level will receive a certificate of distinction. Additionally, the top 10% of students in each grade level will be invited to attend a biology workshop at the University of Toronto. All participants will also receive a certificate of participation.