U-shaped iron core with I-shaped iron core vs without

• Thread starter fojkehelky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core Iron
In summary, transformers work by coupling the changing magnetic field from one coil to the other. Having a "closed" magnetic path, such as using an iron core, greatly improves the transformer's efficiency. The more the magnetic field has to travel through air to form a closed path, the worse the transformer action is. Even with a closed magnetic path, there is still a small gap which can affect the transformer's performance. To completely eliminate this gap, a toroidal core must be used, but this is not always practical.
fojkehelky
I have two coils standing next to each other. One is connected to a power supply and the other one is connected to a lamp.

When I put an I-shaped iron core through both coils the lamp shines brighter than without the iron core. The same thing happens when I use a U-shaped iron core. When I put an I-shaped iron core on top of the U-shaped iron core the lamp shines much brighter.

I think I understand why an iron core makes the lamp shine brighter. What I don't understand is why the lamp shines much brighter when I use a U-shaped iron core with an I-shaped iron core on top of it. What is the difference between on the one hand having only an I-shaped iron core or only a U-shaped iron core and on the other hand having a U-shaped iron core with an I-shaped iron core on top of it?

I have been looking for an explanation but I can't find anything. Grateful for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
fojkehelky said:
I have two coils standing next to each other. One is connected to a power supply and the other one is connected to a lamp.

When I put an I-shaped iron core through both coils the lamp shines brighter than without the iron core. The same thing happens when I use a U-shaped iron core. When I put an I-shaped iron core on top of the U-shaped iron core the lamp shines much brighter.

I think I understand why an iron core makes the lamp shine brighter. What I don't understand is why the lamp shines much brighter when I use a U-shaped iron core with an I-shaped iron core on top of it. What is the difference between on the one hand having only an I-shaped iron core or only a U-shaped iron core and on the other hand having a U-shaped iron core with an I-shaped iron core on top of it?

I have been looking for an explanation but I can't find anything. Grateful for help.

What you are doing is making transformers where you couple the changing magnetic field from one coil to the other one (primary to secondary). When you have a "closed" magnetic path (when you have the iron path a closed circuit), it is a much better transformer. The more the magnetic field has to travel through air to form a closed path, the worse the transformer action is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

berkeman said:
What you are doing is making transformers where you couple the changing magnetic field from one coil to the other one (primary to secondary). When you have a "closed" magnetic path (when you have the iron path a closed circuit), it is a much better transformer. The more the magnetic field has to travel through air to form a closed path, the worse the transformer action is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

thanks for the reply

So does the magnetic field always form a closed path? This makes me think: is there a small part of the magnetic field that travels through air to form a closed path even when I have a square-shaped iron core=a closed magnetic path (U-shaped+I-shaped)?

fojkehelky said:
thanks for the reply

So does the magnetic field always form a closed path? This makes me think: is there a small part of the magnetic field that travels through air to form a closed path even when I have a square-shaped iron core=a closed magnetic path (U-shaped+I-shaped)?

Yes, very good observation on your part. Even when the iron pieces are in physical contact, there is still a "gap". In transformer design, we sometimes put an explicit gap in the magnetic path, for various reasons. Usually you want to minimize the gap, and we even go so far as to mirror polish the mating surfaces to minimize the gap.

To have no gap at all in the magnetic path, you need to use a toroidal core. But it is harder (and more expensive) to wind your coils on a toroid, so toroidal transformers are only used in special applications (like where you want to minimize the physical size of the transformer). Most transformers that use a bobbin to hold the coils will need to be made up of 2 or more core pieces that fit together with the bobbin placed onto them.

I can provide a possible explanation for the observed phenomenon. The reason why the lamp shines brighter with the U-shaped iron core and I-shaped iron core on top is due to the concept of magnetic flux.

Magnetic flux is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. In this case, the coils and iron cores are creating a magnetic field, and the lamp is acting as a measure of the magnetic flux passing through it.

When an I-shaped iron core is inserted through the coils, it acts as a conductor for the magnetic field, increasing the magnetic flux passing through the coils and ultimately the lamp. Similarly, when a U-shaped iron core is used, the magnetic flux is also increased due to the shape of the core.

However, when both the U-shaped and I-shaped iron cores are used together, the magnetic flux is greatly increased. This is because the U-shaped core acts as a "magnetic amplifier" for the I-shaped core, increasing the magnetic flux even further.

In other words, the U-shaped core concentrates and directs the magnetic field created by the I-shaped core, resulting in a much stronger magnetic flux and a brighter lamp.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the difference between using only an I-shaped or U-shaped iron core, and using both together. Keep exploring and experimenting, and you may discover even more interesting phenomena!

1. What is the difference between a U-shaped iron core and an I-shaped iron core?

A U-shaped iron core has two arms that are parallel to each other, forming a "U" shape. An I-shaped iron core has a single arm, making it look like the letter "I".

2. What is the purpose of using an iron core in electrical circuits?

The iron core is used to increase the magnetic field strength in an electrical circuit. This allows for better efficiency and control over the flow of electricity.

3. How does the addition of an iron core affect the performance of an electrical device?

The addition of an iron core can increase the magnetic field strength, allowing for better control and efficiency in the electrical device. It can also help reduce energy losses and improve the overall performance of the device.

4. Which type of iron core is more commonly used in electrical circuits?

The U-shaped iron core is more commonly used in electrical circuits due to its ability to provide a stronger magnetic field compared to the I-shaped iron core.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using an iron core in electrical circuits?

One potential drawback of using an iron core is the potential for energy losses due to hysteresis and eddy currents. These losses can decrease the efficiency of the circuit and may require additional measures to mitigate them.