UBER EASY QUESTION: just need to make sure.

• Thread starter pfssassin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the gradational constant of the earth through a lab experiment. The equations and concepts of average velocity, acceleration, and kinematics are mentioned and applied. The mean value theorem is also brought up as a possible approach. Ultimately, the solution is found using the kinematic equation for height.
pfssassin

Homework Statement

Create a lab to find the gradational constant of the earth.

Homework Equations

a = d/(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Just a general question. If you drop a object (air resistance negligible) and you know the t initial is 0 and you know the t final is w/e you get on your stop watch. You do d/t to get average velocity of the fallen object.

Now that you have the avrg velocity you know the V initial is zero and the speed rises to the avrg velocity, can you assume that a = V avrg / t?

Im in IB physics HL but just can't get my head around this one for some reason...

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, well if you are in IB physics HL you know calculus. Did you learn the mean value theorem?

[tex]v'(c)=a(c)=\frac{v(t_1)-v(t_0)}{t_1-t_0}[/tex]

This will give you the mean acceleration. We know that gravity is constant, so it doesn't even matter that we get the mean, so you're good.

Why don't you just use the kinematic equation for height?

[tex]s(x)-s_0=v_0 t + .5 a t^2[/tex]

Mindscrape said:
Okay, well if you are in IB physics HL you know calculus. Did you learn the mean value theorem?

[tex]v'(c)=a(c)=\frac{v(t_1)-v(t_0)}{t_1-t_0}[/tex]

This will give you the mean acceleration. We know that gravity is constant, so it doesn't even matter that we get the mean, so you're good.

Why don't you just use the kinematic equation for height?

[tex]s(x)-s_0=v_0 t + .5 a t^2[/tex]

Thanks. Got it. I did think about the mean value theorem but we did not have a v initial and v final but just a v avrg. In the midst of all these upscale formulas I forgot the basic [tex]s(x)-s_0=v_0 t + .5 a t^2[/tex]; Well I can argue that I didnt do mechanics since last year but thanks a lot.

1. What is the purpose of the "UBER EASY QUESTION: just need to make sure." question?

The purpose of this question is to confirm that the information being provided is correct or to double-check any important details.

2. Is this question necessary for the scientific research being conducted?

Yes, this question is necessary to ensure the accuracy and validity of the research being conducted. It helps to minimize errors and biases in the data.

3. How does asking this question benefit the scientific community?

Asking this question helps to improve the quality and reliability of scientific research by ensuring that all data is accurate and verified. This ultimately leads to more accurate and trustworthy findings.

4. Can this question be skipped or omitted?

No, this question should not be skipped or omitted. It is an important step in the scientific process and omitting it could lead to faulty results.

5. Is there a specific format or method for asking this question?

There is no specific format or method for asking this question, but it should be clear and straightforward. It can be asked in various ways, such as "Can you confirm this information?" or "Is this correct?".