Troubleshooting Ubuntu 18.04 Screen Issues: Pink Discoloration and GPU Usage

It's just that pink is by far the most common color.In summary, The conversation is about a pink color appearing on the monitor while using Ubuntu, but not on Windows. It is suspected to be a video driver issue and the user has an AMD Radeon RX 570 with the commercial driver. The problem comes and goes, and may be related to thermal issues or dirty connections. It is also mentioned that the user runs OpenFOAM, but it does not use the GPU.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can you see the upper-left pink on my monitor? It comes and goes, though I don't think I've ever seen it on Windows, only Ubuntu (to be fair Ubuntu runs about 99% of the time). Do you know what it's from, or anything about it?

Thanks for your time!

Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 176
Computer science news on Phys.org
I think its Bill Gates peeking out over your window and letting out a sigh.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu
jedishrfu said:
I think its Bill Gates peeking out over your window and letting out a sigh.
hahahaha see I thought about this, hence installing Windows

So is this Ubuntu running under WSL on Windows 10 or Ubuntu running as a dual boot with the option to switch to Windows on the next boot?

jedishrfu said:
So is this Ubuntu running under WSL on Windows 10 or Ubuntu running as a dual boot with the option to switch to Windows on the next boot?
The entire SSD runs Ubuntu. Then a separate HD runs Windows. At boot-up I select which drive to boot from.

Video driver problem is my immediate thought, although initializing the video card at boot time is a possibility.

You state the problem "comes and goes."
Are you saying that it change during a session, or that sometimes it boots to that condition and stays present until a reboot? What about immediately successive reboots?

If changing during a session, it may be a thermal problem with the video card, or a particular application being strange, or maybe just dirty edge contacts on the video card.

And there is always the possibility it's a problem with the display.

Good Luck! You have now entered the brave new world of troubleshooting.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, it's just an Ubuntu problem (to my knowledge). Of course, I do most cpu-intensive work from Ubuntu and am running it almost exclusively.

Tom.G said:
Video driver problem is my immediate thought, although initializing the video card at boot time is a possibility.

You state the problem "comes and goes."
Are you saying that it change during a session, or that sometimes it boots to that condition and stays present until a reboot? What about immediately successive reboots?
I've never seen it boot to that condition: the problem "comes and goes" (currently gone and I have not shut down the system since the picture in post 1).

Tom.G said:
If changing during a session, it may be a thermal problem with the video card, or a particular application being strange, or maybe just dirty edge contacts on the video card.

And there is always the possibility it's a problem with the display.

Good Luck! You have now entered the brave new world of troubleshooting.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. I'll check my cable connections and see what happens. Was thinking it's likely not a display issue since it comes-and-goes and since I have yet to see any issues from the Windows HD. I monitor the temps from the cpu and gpu: not sure this is it but next time I see the problem I'll check it right away.

joshmccraney said:
Can you see the upper-left pink on my monitor? It comes and goes, though I don't think I've ever seen it on Windows, only Ubuntu (to be fair Ubuntu runs about 99% of the time). Do you know what it's from, or anything about it?
Do you mean the horizontal stripes above "Activity"?

Tom.G said:
Video driver problem is my immediate thought.
Mine too. Is this Intel integrated graphics, or a card? If it is an NVIDIA card are you using the commercial driver or the GPL one?

Keith_McClary said:
Do you mean the horizontal stripes above "Activity"?
Yea.

pbuk said:
Mine too. Is this Intel integrated graphics, or a card? If it is an NVIDIA card are you using the commercial driver or the GPL one?
It is a Radeon RX 570. I'm using AMDs commercial driver.

joshmccraney said:
It is a Radeon RX 570. I'm using AMDs commercial driver.
Good. Another thought - are you the guy that's using OpenFOAM? Is this (or anything else) using the GPU?

My previous monitor had vertical colored stripes coming up from the bottom edge mostly. They faded out as it warmed out.

Does screenshot show it?

pbuk said:
Good. Another thought - are you the guy that's using OpenFOAM? Is this (or anything else) using the GPU?
Yea, I use OpenFOAM. OpenFOAM does not use the GPU.

Yea, screenshot shows it. Problem is not exclusively pink, and not exclusively in the upper-left corner.

What is the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04?

The screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04 refers to a problem where the display on the computer screen becomes distorted, blurry, or flickers. This can make it difficult to use the operating system and can be frustrating for users.

What causes the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04?

The screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04 can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated or incompatible graphics drivers, incorrect display settings, or hardware malfunctions. It can also be caused by bugs or glitches in the operating system itself.

How can I fix the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04?

The solution to the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04 will depend on the specific cause of the problem. Some potential fixes include updating graphics drivers, adjusting display settings, or performing a system update. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from online forums or technical support.

Is there a way to prevent the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04?

While it is not always possible to prevent the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it occurring. This includes regularly updating your operating system and graphics drivers, using compatible hardware, and avoiding making changes to display settings without proper knowledge.

Should I consider switching to a different operating system because of the screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04?

The screen issue in Ubuntu 18.04 is a common problem that can be frustrating for users, but it should not be a reason to switch to a different operating system. Many users have successfully resolved the issue and continue to use Ubuntu 18.04 without any problems. It is important to troubleshoot and seek assistance before making the decision to switch to a different operating system.