PF no longer works properly w/ my IE 10

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Firefox and IE as browsers, with IE being the default for one person. The individual has encountered multiple issues with IE, including problems with mouse hovers, avatars, and the response box not being present. They speculate that this may be due to an auto-upgrade from Microsoft and are considering upgrading to IE 11. Others in the conversation suggest clearing the cache and cookies or creating a restore point before upgrading.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I use both Firefox 32.0.3 and IE 10.0.9200.17116 regularly. For various reasons, IE is my default browser, so whenever I get an email notification from any forum and click on the "view thread" (or equivalent) button in the email, it uses IE

If I am just opening a browser to check forums, I use Firefox.

Both browsers work just fine with all forums and all web sites, with the single exception that about a week ago IE stopped working properly with PF.

It screws up in all kinds of ways.
  • Mouse hover on "alerts" and "forums" doesn't do anything.
  • Avatars are not shown (just empty boxes).
  • For recent threads I've posted in, my own mini-avatar in the lower right of the starters avatar also shows up as just a little empty box.
  • Clicking on "search" brings up the left 1/3 of the search box, with the rest being cut off on the right of the browser window unless I go full screen with the browser (this didn't use to happen and still doesn't in FireFox).
  • And then the WORST problem which is that the response box is not present so to respond in the thread, I have to copy the URL and open Firefox and drop the URL in and then use Firefox to respond (and yes, I AM logged in in IE)
And all of that is just what I remember off the cuff. There are more issues I'm sure.

This is a real pain in the neck. None of these problems used to be here up to about a week ago and none of them occur in Firefox. I assume this is some kind of incompatibility between PF and an IE auto-upgrade from Microsoft, but I haven't seen anyone else post on having this problem so I wonder if it is somehow my computer. I haven't touched IE since upgrading to 10.0 quite some time ago, but of course Microsoft does auto-upgrades.

Any clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Any clues?
Are you still on XP? Unfortunately I can't test because I use 11, which works great :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you still on XP? Unfortunately I can't test because I use 11, which works great :)
Sorry, I should have noted that I am on Window 7 Home Pro and have been since I got this laptop about 5 years ago.

Guess I'll have to update to 11

Likes Greg Bernhardt
After seeing you have Windows 7 Professional and using Firefox (same here), I decided to check my IE version 11 to see if it works okay here (rarely use it though). ... Looks good. Go for it.

Is there ANYBODY else here using IE 10? My concern is that the problem is somehow local to my computer and updating to 11 won't solve it.

phinds said:
Is there ANYBODY else here using IE 10?
Why do you resist upgrading?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why do you resist upgrading?

Perhaps I'm not being clear. Let me say it with slightly different words. If the problem with IE 10 is not happening for anyone else, then my computer may (probably does) have a problem that is NOT an IE-related cause. Thus upgrading to 11 may not solve the problem.

I'm not resisting upgrading but would like to know what's going on.

phinds said:
Perhaps I'm not being clear.
You are clear and your request is valid, I'm just curious why you wouldn't want to be up to date anyway.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You are clear and your request is valid, I'm just curious why you wouldn't want to be up to date anyway.

I'm ALWAY loathe to "update" because the newer better software often isn't JUST newer and better, it's also DIFFERENT in unpleasant ways and sometimes drops features that I've come to depend on. I find Microsoft to be particularly bad about this. I've been REALLY pleased at how great the update to PF is. That is not the way it often works out in my experience.

Maybe you need to clear your cache and cookies in IE 10. I've noticed when sites start to not load correctly I clear my cache and it sorts the problem out.

StevieTNZ said:
Maybe you need to clear your cache and cookies in IE 10. I've noticed when sites start to not load correctly I clear my cache and it sorts the problem out.

You're right. I should have already done that. The complexity of the miscellany of problems may have led me to underestimate the likelihood of there being such a simple solution. Thanks.

EDIT: did that, no joy.

It is probably in your best interests to upgrade to IE 11. To see a list of changes from IE 10 to 11, you can probably find some good answers by Googling.

Just create a Restore Point. Just sayin'

1. Why is PF no longer working properly with my IE 10 browser?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there is a compatibility issue between PF and IE 10, as IE 10 is an older browser and may not support all of the features and functionality of PF. Another possibility is that there may be a bug or glitch in the PF software that is causing it to malfunction with IE 10. It is also possible that there may be a problem with your specific installation of PF or IE 10, such as corrupt files or settings.

2. Can I still use PF with my IE 10 browser?

While it may be possible to continue using PF with IE 10, it may not function properly or may have limited functionality. It is recommended to use a more up-to-date browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, for the best experience with PF.

3. Is there a way to fix this issue?

There are a few potential solutions that may help resolve the issue. First, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and restarting your browser. If that does not work, try updating your browser to the latest version or using a different browser. You can also try reinstalling PF or contacting their customer support for assistance.

4. Will PF release an update to fix this issue?

It is possible that PF may release an update to address any compatibility issues with IE 10. However, as IE 10 is an older browser, it is also possible that they may no longer support it. It is recommended to use a more up-to-date browser for the best experience with PF.

5. Can I use a different browser while waiting for a fix?

Yes, you can use a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, while waiting for a potential fix for the issue with IE 10. It is recommended to use a more up-to-date browser for the best experience with PF.