UC Davis department admissions closed? (Anger enclosed)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a sudden and unexpected email from UC Davis stating that their Department of Applied Science Graduate Program is not admitting any students for the Fall 2011 semester. The person is outraged and confused by this decision, especially since it came months after the submission deadline. They are unsure of what to do next and are considering reaching out to the Physics department for a potential transfer. Other options, such as extending the deadline for other universities they have been accepted to, are also being considered. There is speculation that this decision may be influenced by budget problems in California. The person had a strong interest in attending UC Davis due to its location, tuition, and research opportunities. However, they have been accepted to Georgia Tech without guaranteed financial support
Pengwuino
Gold Member
UC Davis department admissions closed?!? (Anger enclosed)

So UC Davis dropped a damn bombshell on me this morning. I applied to the universities Department of Applied Science Graduate Program for the Fall 2011 semester. I get an e-mail this morning, MARCH 31ST, that I'm not even rejected, BUT THAT THEY AREN'T EVEN ADMITTING PEOPLE.

WHAT THE @#*$@#?

They said that they'll refund my admissions fee and that I'm encouraged to apply to other departments and LSDKHFLSHDLC*#@#%#C. What the hell is this BS??

I'm still trying to comprehend what the hell just happened. They tell me they aren't even accepting people... 3 months after the submission deadline? And then encourage me to apply to a different department when all their deadlines have to have passed by now. I'm still dumbfounded by this. I have no idea what I'm suppose to do as Davis was looking like my preferred choice for graduate school.

So what I would like to ask you all, while I'm sitting here popping blood vessels, is whether or not I should try to work out a deal with their Physics department to be a temporary student or something and later transfer to the DAS. Or something? I have no idea, I'm just... speechless as to what the hell I'm suppose to do now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Take 24-48 hours to calm down, and then call- do not email- the Department Chair (Yin Yeh) directly. I assume all you really want to know is if the letter is true- that the program is not admitting *anyone*?

If you remain calm, explain that it's too late to apply to other programs, and ask for 'plan B' ideas, you may be surprised- any decent department/school would be a fool to alienate a talented student (even if they can't accept the student). One of the departments in my college can only accept 10% of the students that apply, and they regularly work with bright students that, through no fault of their own, could not be admitted.

Good luck- the key is to remain calm and not take their decision personally.

Well, I already e-mailed the graduate student affairs officer and asked what the reasoning was and whether or not transferring to the department in the future was a possibility. She said that the department was not accepting new students or transfer students. I also asked if this was a temporary situation and she said that she was not sure if the situation is temporary or not.

What kind of "plan B" options would there be if it were at all possible in the first place? I know I'm probably not a stellar applicant, but probably not at the lower end of who they would have hypothetically accepted.

Also, from what I gather, transfers between universities and even departments is frowned upon, so I feel like I'm in an all or nothing game here. I've been accepted at Georgia Tech and I'm not too too excited to attend there and it seems like if I do decide to go there, I'm pretty much there for my whole PhD.

First, take a couple of days to calm down. Take a walk outside, play some videos games, watch a good movie. Come back and ask after you have a clear head.

As I've learned from dealing with similar situations, more gets accomplished after I've calmed down.

Well as much as I was annoyed in the original post, at this point I have no time to be mad or annoyed or whatever. I have a huge decision that has to be made and the time-frame has narrowed with a real curve ball hitting me. I really liked the idea of going to Davis as it is somewhere near home, in-state tuition, not very expensive, near Lawrence Livermore, and has a decent Plasma physics group.

What are the chances I can get the other programs I've been accepted to to extend the Statement of Intent to Register deadline? I feel like telling them 'Hey, I haven't heard from two universities, I'm having an issue with one where I'll probably be forced to re-apply to a department, i'd be immensely grateful for an extension on the deadline'. I need to get all my ducks in a row here.

Pengwuino said:
She said that the department was not accepting new students or transfer students. I also asked if this was a temporary situation and she said that she was not sure if the situation is temporary or not.

You don't suppose this has something to do with California's state budget problems? That would be pretty much out of their control.

jtbell said:
You don't suppose this has something to do with California's state budget problems? That would be pretty much out of their control.

I suspect this may be part of the problem. Can it be so bad that they flat out are not accepting students?

Pengwuino said:
...I really liked the idea of going to Davis as it is somewhere near home, in-state tuition, not very expensive, near Lawrence Livermore, and has a decent Plasma physics group.

I'd hope, for a graduate program in the sciences, that you wouldn't be paying tuition. Did Georgia Tech give you an offer with guaranteed support for the first year via a at least a TA from? I am not familiar with their plasma physics group, but I am informed about their condensed matter groups (I worked with Mei-Yin Chou for an REU many years ago), and Rick Trebino has a great ultra-fast laser group.

physics girl phd said:
I'd hope, for a graduate program in the sciences, that you wouldn't be paying tuition. Did Georgia Tech give you an offer with guaranteed support for the first year via a at least a TA from? I am not familiar with their plasma physics group, but I am informed about their condensed matter groups (I worked with Mei-Yin Chou for an REU many years ago), and Rick Trebino has a great ultra-fast laser group.

No, they did not guarantee me any financial support. The letter said I am expected to supply my own funds and that faculty members may decide to support students on funded research departments. I was accepted to the Nuclear & Radiological Engineering program so I'm not entirely familiar with funding to programs like that. In physics, obviously we have TAships, but I figure such a department can't be too much different...

I'm hoping that wasn't just the polite way of rejecting me that some universities use.

John Lennon was right. Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

The only thing that I would add to that is my own life experience. I've had a few similar expected "earth shattering" events happen over the years, and the medium/long term consequences have never turned out to be negative. My answer to the question "looking back, do you wish things had always gone the way you planned" would be at best "no preference", and on a couple of occasions "no way, I got pitched headfirst into something that turned out to be much more challenging and fun that what I thought I wanted to do with my life".

Good luck, and remember the motto "nil illegitimi carborundum".

Pengwuino said:
I'm hoping that wasn't just the polite way of rejecting me that some universities use.

I don't think it's that (I don't know any universities that use it that way... but it is certainly a way of saying you aren't at the top of the list (which would make me worried a bit then about getting funding in a research group if you are competing for those spots with "top-of-the-list" folks).

I suspect this too has to do with state budget cuts, etc. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/us/07hope.html" (not sure if it happened, and it does relate to the undergrad program rather than grad... but it is indicative of state woes throughout the US.

Pengwuino said:
I suspect this may be part of the problem. Can it be so bad that they flat out are not accepting students?

Yes. It's that bad.

One thing about being angry is that it's important that you direct the anger at the right people. I'm pretty sure that the California legislature is a more worthy target of your anger than anyone at the department.

I guess I am confused - what did you want them to do? Would a letter saying "we're admitting students, just not you" be any better for you?

And yes, the financial situation can be so bad that they are skipping a year. Or terminating the program. Or thinking about terminating the program N years from now.

Pengwuino said:
I'm still trying to comprehend what the hell just happened.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-03-25/bay-area/29187194_1_budget-cuts-reductions-in-social-services-spending-cut

I have no idea what I'm suppose to do as Davis was looking like my preferred choice for graduate school.

Getting angry is a good start. Just make sure that you target the right people. Also, given that budget cuts are part of the landscape, I think you'll face a lot of similar situations in the next few years.

So what I would like to ask you all, while I'm sitting here popping blood vessels, is whether or not I should try to work out a deal with their Physics department to be a temporary student or something and later transfer to the DAS.

The problem that you will have is that they likely have no idea what to do.

Vanadium 50 said:
I guess I am confused - what did you want them to do? Would a letter saying "we're admitting students, just not you" be any better for you?

No but that is not the point. I doubt this decision was made yesterday and if they had made it clear to applicants that something like this could be happening, I would have applied to the Physics department as well to hedge my bets. At this point, I don't think I can be considered for a TAship if I apply to the physics department and am accepted.

Personally I'm curious as to when this decision was made. I e-mailed Davis on Wednesday asking for an update on my application. A day later I receive this e-mail saying they are not accepting anyone.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Pengwuino. I made pretty much the same mistake that it sounds like you did. When I first applied to grad school in physics, I only applied to 4 schools, didn't get into any of them. I waited a year and applied to 14 schools, got into one very good school. You don't want all your eggs in one basket -- or even in a few baskets.

Are you not living in California and thus not familiar with the political situation? It's a total budget meltdown. At the community college where I teach, we have entering freshmen who can't get a single class. Too many classes have been canceled because of budget cuts.

Pengwuino said:
No but that is not the point. I doubt this decision was made yesterday [...]

What makes you think that? You're not dealing with a smoothly functioning state government, you're dealing with a completely dysfunctional one.

Pengwuino said:
No but that is not the point. I doubt this decision was made yesterday and if they had made it clear to applicants that something like this could be happening, I would have applied to the Physics department as well to hedge my bets.

Governor Brown didn't sign the budget cut bill until Friday, so until Monday it was likely that the department had no idea how many students they could admit.

One lesson is to always hedge your bets because unexpected things will happen. Also since the cuts are statewide, there's no particular reason to think that the physics department isn't also sending out similar letters.

I think the other takeaway from this is that you should start getting more involved in keeping track of state and federal budget processes. Given that everyone is in a cutting mood, this isn't going to be the last time this will happen.

Personally I'm curious as to when this decision was made.

Brown signed the budget bill on 3/25. There was probably a big meeting involving the university administration on 3/28, and which would have put the department decision on 3/29 or 3/30.

bcrowell said:
What makes you think that? You're not dealing with a smoothly functioning state government, you're dealing with a completely dysfunctional one.

Yah I've lived here my entire life and knew California was a little screwed up... but I guess I had a little faith that it wouldn't become this god awful. Oh well.

The real issue, for me now, is figuring out something else. I plan to call the chair on Monday, as suggested, and seeing if there's anything that could be worked out.

Would it be wise to contact professors I would like to work with and ... actually I'm not even sure what I could ask. I also need to contact Georgia Tech about money because I can't go there if they're not going to fund me (or at least really really really don't want to).

I also got into UC Merced, except they have nothing I want to do there. I literally only applied because of the fee-waiver and transfer possibilities... but from what I hear transferring is a bad prospect at the PhD level.

Last edited:

twofish-quant said:
One lesson is to always hedge your bets because unexpected things will happen. Also since the cuts are statewide, there's no particular reason to think that the physics department isn't also sending out similar letters.

The Physics department has sent out rejections from what I hear haha. I noticed two people on physicsgre.com who said they were accepted at davis, but I suspect there's no real difference between a department admitting 2 people or 0 people.

Wait a few weeks and you will be happy things turned out the way they did.

Not saying things will turn out to be decent, but human psychology just works that way.

For all I know, it could also be related to the federal government's impending shutdown. If that happens, I expect that new proposals will be put on hold.

twofish-quant said:
http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-03-25/bay-area/29187194_1_budget-cuts-reductions-in-social-services-spending-cut

Key phrase:

[...] slashing $500 million each from the University of California and California State University systems.

That's a billion dollars total, just from higher education. In one state.

Pengwuino said:
What kind of "plan B" options would there be if it were at all possible in the first place? I know I'm probably not a stellar applicant, but probably not at the lower end of who they would have hypothetically accepted.

As I mentioned, the people actually doing this are in another school, so I only have anecdotal ideas.

Overall, what you want (presumably) is a plan of action that allows you to stay on track, career-wise. This can range from getting help applying to another program (post-deadline), provisional admission, admission to a different program that allows for easy transferral, etc.

The specific plan is dependent on *your* needs, so I can't get much more specific than that. I'll ask around and see if there are any specific actions taken that you may find useful.

Andy Resnick said:
As I mentioned, the people actually doing this are in another school, so I only have anecdotal ideas.

Overall, what you want (presumably) is a plan of action that allows you to stay on track, career-wise. This can range from getting help applying to another program (post-deadline), provisional admission, admission to a different program that allows for easy transferral, etc.

The specific plan is dependent on *your* needs, so I can't get much more specific than that. I'll ask around and see if there are any specific actions taken that you may find useful.

That would be very helpful, thank you :)

I'm thinking this decision was in fact made extremely recently. I e-mailed the graduate student affairs officer on Wednesday, got an e-mail from another person on Thursday saying the department wasnt accepting students and the application fees were being refunded, then this morning I hear from the person I e-mailed on Wednesday saying basically the same thing. So I'm guessing the Thursday e-mail was THE announcement for all applicants.

I'm going to try to talk to one of my professors today that I'm fairly sure graduated from the department and I'm going to see if he still keeps in touch with anyone there to see what the situation is.

Is it advisable to contact the professors I was hoping to eventually work with and see if they have any advice?

Pengwuino said:
Is it advisable to contact the professors I was hoping to eventually work with and see if they have any advice?

Absolutely! Assuming, of course, you don't start screaming at them... :)

Well some good news! I was talking to one of my professors who received his PhD at Davis and he took it upon himself to call them and see if I could still apply and receive a TAship at the Physics department and offered to write me a letter of recommendation atop what my 3 other recommenders would do.

So my next step is to contact the research group that I'm interested in working with and seeing if I would be able to work with them in the future even though I would be outside of their department.

Andy Resnick said:
Absolutely! Assuming, of course, you don't start screaming at them... :)

My guess is that they are as angry or even more angry than you are, so it's a good idea to talk to people so that you can all direct your anger at the right people, and those people are likely to be in Sacremento.

Pengwuino said:

As a graduate student at a UC school, I can tell you that it is that bad. Some of the campuses are even closing whole departments... Also since it's looking like the ballot prop. in June to raise taxes might not even happen, the cuts to the UC system are likely going to get even larger.

Last edited:

I'm sorry but I find all of this absolutely incredible.

That's what happens when you have an extremely weak economy.

gbeagle said:
As a graduate student at a UC school, I can tell you that it is that bad. Some of the campuses are even closing whole departments... Also since it's looking like the ballot prop. in June to raise taxes might not even happen, the cuts to the UC system are likely going to get even larger.

yep. I'm currently looking to move out of state to finish my undergrad as I've been hearing rumors(from faculty, transfer advisors, etc.) that transfers may become extremely selective to UC and CSU(if they accept any at all) and I may have to attend 3 semesters instead if the 2 I have left in a CC(worst case 4) to transfer into an engineering program. I barely got into the classes I have this semester as it is.

This is only with the recent cuts too.

Thinking Austin, Texas but not too sure of the situation there.

spartanaudio said:
Thinking Austin, Texas but not too sure of the situation there.

I think it's going to be out of the frying pan into the fire situation. As bad as the situation is in California, it has two things going for it.

1) In California, you have a governor that really doesn't want to cut things and would prefer to raise taxes if he could.

2) California is at least handling the issue. My sense is that Texas is still in a state of denial about how bad the situation is.

twofish-quant said:
2) California is at least handling the issue. My sense is that Texas is still in a state of denial about how bad the situation is.

Stop that. UT Austin was my one side hail mary play in all of this. California is still pretty much in denial. Jerry Brown is screwed along with the rest of us.

Pengwuino said:
Stop that. UT Austin was my one side hail mary play in all of this.

It's a global crisis. Texas got hit quite hard.

California is still pretty much in denial. Jerry Brown is screwed along with the rest of us.

There are levels of denial. At least California has figured out that it needs to cut $X or raise $Y taxes. Texas is just barely getting to that point. Also, Jerry Brown might not be talking out loud about what he is thinking, but I get the sense that his view of the tradeoffs and the issues is close to what is the actual situation. I don't get that sense with Rick Perry.

There are times when you hope a politician is lying to you. Sometimes what a politician says makes absolutely no sense that you hope what is happening is that they are telling bald faced lies in order to get votes when in fact they secretly have a plan B that they will pull out once. Jerry Brown strikes me as the type of person that will lie to get elected, which means that when he says something that makes no sense, I assume he is lying, and that makes me feel better. Rick Perry is honest and sincere, so when he says something that makes zero sense, I get worried because he actually believes what he is saying.