Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UHP water jetting and calculating kinetic energy

1. Jun 15, 2016 #1
    If i compress water to 60 ksi, and push it through a 0.015" sharp orifice, then i have another orifice 2 feet before that sudden open to 0.015", what is the velocity of the stream from each orifice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll have to tell us more before anyone on PF can give you a proper answer .

Please post a more detailed description of the problem and a clear diagram .

4. Jun 16, 2016 #3
    I have drawn this in metric units.
    Scenario # 1 (Solenoid valve 2 opens, pump is supplying noted pressure to water)
    What is the velocity of the stream exiting attached nozzle? Power of stream?
    Scenario # 2 (Solenoid valve 1 opens....Valve 2 stays open)
    What is the velocity of each nozzle? Power of each stream?
    And yes, smooth, laminar flow....note that i have not added a system relief just to simplify.

Thank you in advance
    question.jpg

5. Jun 16, 2016 #4
    In addition, is there a specific energy dispersion rate from the nozzle tip to atmosphere?

6. Jun 17, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you got a drawing of the orifice and nozzle ?

7. Jun 17, 2016 #6
    no i do not, however i did stumble upon a research paper has the calculation and 420 MPa, 1 mm orifice = 916 m/s this was verified thru CFD and measured using phase Doppler anemometry....that was thru a single orifice....i need look thru the rest of the formulae and work thru the impact of that water stream on a human body...

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted