UHP water jetting and calculating kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity and power of a water stream exiting a nozzle under different scenarios involving solenoid valves. The question also includes a request for a drawing of the orifice and nozzle, and the possibility of a specific energy dispersion rate from the nozzle tip to atmosphere. The conversation also mentions a research paper that provides calculations for a 420 MPa pressure and 1 mm orifice resulting in a velocity of 916 m/s, which was verified through CFD and phase Doppler anemometry. There is also a mention of the potential impact of the water stream on a human body.
Canagman
If i compress water to 60 ksi, and push it through a 0.015" sharp orifice, then i have another orifice 2 feet before that sudden open to 0.015", what is the velocity of the stream from each orifice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to tell us more before anyone on PF can give you a proper answer .

Please post a more detailed description of the problem and a clear diagram .

I have drawn this in metric units.
Scenario # 1 (Solenoid valve 2 opens, pump is supplying noted pressure to water)
What is the velocity of the stream exiting attached nozzle? Power of stream?
Scenario # 2 (Solenoid valve 1 opens...Valve 2 stays open)
What is the velocity of each nozzle? Power of each stream?
And yes, smooth, laminar flow...note that i have not added a system relief just to simplify.

Thank you in advance
question.jpg

In addition, is there a specific energy dispersion rate from the nozzle tip to atmosphere?

Have you got a drawing of the orifice and nozzle ?

no i do not, however i did stumble upon a research paper has the calculation and 420 MPa, 1 mm orifice = 916 m/s this was verified thru CFD and measured using phase Doppler anemometry...that was thru a single orifice...i need look thru the rest of the formulae and work thru the impact of that water stream on a human body...

Regards

1. What is UHP water jetting?

UHP (ultra-high pressure) water jetting is a cleaning and cutting method that uses water pressurized to over 20,000 psi to remove surface contaminants or cut through tough materials. It is often used in industrial and construction settings.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated in UHP water jetting?

Kinetic energy in UHP water jetting is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the water and v is the velocity of the water as it exits the nozzle. This calculation is important in determining the cutting power and effectiveness of the water jet.

3. What is the purpose of using UHP in water jetting?

UHP water jetting is used to achieve a higher level of cleaning or cutting power compared to traditional water jetting methods. The high pressure of the water allows it to penetrate and remove tough substances, such as rust or concrete, from surfaces.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when using UHP water jetting?

When using UHP water jetting, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and ear protection. The area should also be cleared of any bystanders and proper training and supervision should be provided to those operating the equipment.

5. Can UHP water jetting be used for all types of surfaces?

While UHP water jetting is a powerful method for cleaning and cutting, it may not be suitable for all surfaces. It is important to assess the material and surface being worked on to determine if UHP water jetting is the appropriate method, as it may cause damage to softer materials or delicate surfaces.