UK & US: From Biology to Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their career path after completing a BSc degree in Genetics but realizing their preference for working in the Physics field. They are unsure if it is possible to transition into Physics without an undergraduate degree in the subject and are seeking opinions and suggestions on potential options, such as pursuing a Masters program. They also mention the potential of applying physics concepts to biology or completely switching fields.
PoliGen
Hey there,

I was wondering what people's opinion/advice on my problem would be.

I've just finished a BSc degree in Genetics in a uni in the UK; but I'm starting to think that yes, while I'd like to work in research science, it's not the Biological field but the Physics field that I'd prefer.

So where do I go from here? Can you work yourself in sideways to Physics, or will the total lack of undergrad Physics be a very big problem? Or are there Masters that you know of that you can take units in a new subject alone?

Opinions/thoughts/comments/throwing rocks..?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a lot of interesting (and probably easily accessible for you) work on 'network' approaches to the gemone/proteome/physiome/*ome. Are you talking about applying physics concepts to biology, or getting out of biology and doing physics research?

I can understand your dilemma and it's great that you are considering your interests and career goals at this stage. It is not uncommon for individuals to switch fields or specialties within science, and it is definitely possible to transition from biology to physics. However, it may require some additional coursework and effort on your part.

One option could be to pursue a Master's degree in Physics, which would provide you with the necessary foundation and knowledge in the field. Many universities offer programs specifically designed for students with a non-physics background, so it is worth researching and reaching out to admissions advisors at different institutions. Another option could be to take individual courses in physics while working in a research lab, to gain hands-on experience and demonstrate your interest and skills in the field.

Overall, it may require some extra work and determination, but with your background in biology and a clear interest in physics, I believe you have a good chance of successfully transitioning to the field. My advice would be to do thorough research, speak with advisors and professionals in the field, and pursue opportunities to gain experience and knowledge in physics. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the difference between UK and US education systems in terms of biology and physics?

The main difference between UK and US education systems in terms of biology and physics is the structure of the curriculum. In the UK, students specialize in either biology or physics from a young age, whereas in the US, students are exposed to a wider range of subjects and can choose to major in either biology or physics in college.

2. How do the teaching styles in UK and US differ in biology and physics?

In the UK, the teaching style is more lecture-based and focused on theory, while in the US, there is a greater emphasis on hands-on and practical learning experiences. In biology, this may include laboratory experiments, while in physics, this may involve building and testing models.

3. Are there any notable differences in the subjects covered in UK and US biology and physics courses?

While the core concepts and principles in biology and physics are universal, there may be some variations in the specific topics covered in courses between the UK and US. For example, US biology courses may delve more into genetics and molecular biology, while UK courses may focus more on ecological and environmental topics.

4. How do the grading systems in UK and US universities differ for biology and physics?

In the UK, grades are typically given based on performance on exams and coursework throughout the year, while in the US, there is a greater emphasis on continuous assessment and grades may be based on a combination of assignments, projects, and exams.

5. Are there any notable differences in research opportunities for biology and physics students in the UK and US?

Both the UK and US offer excellent research opportunities for biology and physics students, but the structure and availability of these opportunities may differ. In the UK, research opportunities may be more integrated into undergraduate programs, while in the US, students may need to seek out research opportunities through independent projects or internships.