Where would I bet better as an undergrad? UK or US?

In summary, the speaker is deciding between US and UK universities for their undergraduate studies in physics. They are leaning towards Cornell in the US and Oxford in the UK. They are concerned about the differences in the courses and the impact on their future plans for a PhD in physics. They are seeking advice from anyone with experience in studying physics at Cornell and are also considering the success rates of graduates in getting into top graduate schools and opportunities for undergraduate research.
Ellegal
So I'm applying to both US Universities and UK Universities... My main choice in the US is most likely going to be Cornell; my main choice in the UK is definitely Oxford. Obviously there is no guaranteed entry into either institutions, but hey, let's be optimistic.
Regardless of where I am, I will certainly want to major in Physics. Does anyone have any experience with comparing the UK and US undergrad courses for Physics? I feel like going to the US and having to do distributional requirements will limit my Physics knowledge... however I've asked Cornell and they said it's perfectly reasonable for undergrads to take grad level courses. I still feel like the UK will be a more substantial degree. I'm also fairly certain I want to do a PhD in Physics. If that is to remain true, and in 4 years I have to make a decision on where, will having a degree from US Uni's limit to where I can apply as apposed to just going for a straight Masters from the UK?

tl;dr UK or US for undergrad? Where would I get the best physics degree?

ALSO: If anyone has studied Physics at Cornell PLEASE tell me what your experience was like.

Physics news on Phys.org
For someone already knowing they want to pursue a PhD, I would recommend two things:

Pick an institution where a lot of graduates get into very good grad schools. A good question might be: of those physics majors who wanted to go to graduate school, shat percentage were admitted to top 20 programs?

Pick an institution where most physics majors have a chance to do research and publish while undergraduates. A good question might be: what percentage of physics undergrads co-authored published papers in the last five years?

I completely agree with the above and will add that Cornell has an amazing record for both undergrad research and getting students into the best grad schools. Cambridge and Oxford are also great but from what I hear it is harder to do research as an undergrad in the UK.

Note that physics programs in the US and UK have quite different structures. In the US you would typically get a BSc and then apply for graduate school. Here in the UK the system is a quite a bit more complicated and there are several possible routes; but typically you would get an MSc (which takes 4 years) and them apply for a PhD position, either an "independent" position (usually 3 years) or at a CDT (4 years, the first year being an introductory year with courses etc).

Hence. you can't really compare Oxford and Cornell without thinking a bit about what you want to do afterwards.

1. What are the main differences between studying in the UK and the US as an undergrad?

The main differences between studying in the UK and US as an undergrad include the structure of the education system, the cost of tuition, and the cultural experience. In the UK, the undergraduate degree typically lasts for three years and students focus on their chosen major from the start. In the US, undergraduates typically have a wider range of courses to choose from and can take up to four years to complete their degree. Tuition fees are generally higher in the US, but financial aid and scholarships are more readily available. The cultural experience also differs, with the UK offering a more traditional academic environment while the US tends to have a more diverse and socially active campus life.

2. Which country has a better reputation for undergraduate education?

Both the UK and the US have highly reputable education systems, and it ultimately depends on the specific university and program. The UK is known for its long-standing history of academic excellence and prestigious universities, while the US is known for its innovative and research-driven approach to education. It is important to research and compare specific universities and programs to determine which would be a better fit for your academic goals.

3. What opportunities are available for international students in the UK and US?

The UK and US both offer a wide range of opportunities for international students. In the UK, international students have the option to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays. They also have the opportunity to stay in the UK for up to two years after graduation to work or pursue further studies. In the US, international students can work on campus and may also be eligible for internships and off-campus employment with proper authorization. Additionally, the US offers the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, which allows international students to work in their field of study for up to one year after graduation.

4. Which country has a better job market for international students after graduation?

The job market for international students after graduation varies depending on the field of study and the individual's qualifications and skills. In general, both the UK and US offer opportunities for international students to work after graduation. However, the US has a larger job market and a wider range of industries, making it potentially easier for international students to find employment. It is important to research the specific job market and opportunities in your field of study in both countries.

5. What are the visa requirements for studying in the UK and US?

The visa requirements for studying in the UK and US differ. In the UK, international students will need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, which requires proof of acceptance into a recognized university, sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses, and a valid passport. In the US, international students will need to apply for an F-1 student visa, which also requires proof of acceptance into a recognized university, sufficient funds, and a valid passport. Additionally, the US requires international students to prove their intent to return to their home country after completing their studies. It is important to carefully review and fulfill all visa requirements for both countries.