1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to show that functions are harmonic.

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the functions [tex]u(x,y)[/tex] and [tex]v(x,y)[/tex] have continuous second partial derivatives and they satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Show that [tex]u(x,y)[/tex] and [tex]v(x,y)[/tex] are harmonic functions.

2. Relevant equations

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are given: [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

And functions are harmonic if [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/tex] (Laplace equation)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been stuck with this one for couple of hours now, and I really can't get much out of it. The only thing that's gone through my head is to differentiate the Cauchy-Riemann equations once more and trying to arrange the terms so that the Laplace equation is satisfied. But to no avail.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you forgetting that u,x,y=u,y,x (the commas indicate partial derivatives). I.e. the derivative is equal regardless of the order of differentiation.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    No, I'm not. But you're tip doesn't ring a bell.

Edit: I'll take that back! Got it now! Thanks for the help! How can I be so stupid...

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiate the first equation with respect to x and the second one with respect to y. The first equation has u,xx in it and the second one has -u,yy. And they are equal to the same thing. So they are equal to each other.

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5
    I solved it just before you replied. I can't believe I couldn't see that. Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook