Uncertainty between position and angular frequency - is this correct?

In summary, the thermodynamics + statistical physics class derived the equipartition theorem for ideal gases using Boltzmann factors, dividing the phase space of a gas particle in position+momentum space into units of size x*p=h based on the quantum nature of the space of states that are in principle distinguishable from one another. In so doing, they divided the integral for the partition function by ##h^3## (the integral ended up being equal to ##\int e^{-\beta \epsilon} / h^3 dx dy dz dp_x dp_y dp_z## integrating over all positions and momenta with the density of states being equal to ##dxdydz
Negatratoron
TL;DR Summary
Derivation of: ##\Delta x \Delta \omega \ge \frac{c}{2}##
Motivation: In my thermodynamics + statistical physics class, we derived the equipartition theorem for ideal gasses using Boltzmann factors, dividing the phase space of a gas particle in position+momentum space into units of size x*p=h based on the quantum nature of the space of states that are in principle distinguishable from one another. In so doing, we divided the integral for the partition function by ##h^3## (the integral ended up being equal to ##\int e^{-\beta \epsilon} / h^3 dx dy dz dp_x dp_y dp_z## integrating over all positions and momenta with the density of states being equal to ##dxdydzdp_xdp_ydp_z / h^3##). This began to raise a question in my mind. Position and momentum are conjugate variables in quantum mechanics, and obey an uncertainty relation in which their units multiply to angular momentum, i.e. the units of ##h##. Similarly, time and energy - and angular position and angular momentum - obey uncertainty relations in which their units again multiply to the units of ##h##. I wonder if there is something fundamental to that, or if there could be a relation that has different units, and so I went looking for an uncertainty relation with different units. Here is what I found:

Take Heisenberg's uncertainty principle for the position and momentum of a photon:

$$\begin{align} \Delta x \Delta p \ge \frac{\hbar}{2} = \frac{h}{4 \pi}\end{align} $$

Here the uncertainty is standard deviation, so $$\Delta x$$ is the standard deviation of the position of the photon.

Now take the relation

$$E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}$$

Doing a bit of algebra

$$\frac{E \lambda}{h^2} = \frac{c}{h}$$

Applying this to the original equation

$$\begin{align} \frac{\Delta x \Delta p E \lambda}{h^2} \ge \frac{c}{4 \pi}\end{align} $$

Photons obey the relation ##E = p c##. Standard deviation is linear across coefficients, i.e. the standard deviation of the multiple ##a## of a random variable is equal to the multiple ##a## of the standard deviation of the random variable, i.e. ##\Delta (a x) = a \Delta x##, so the photon obeys ##\Delta E = \Delta P c##. (I am using ##\Delta x## instead of ##\sigma_x## for the sake of readability). From these two equations, we have ##E \Delta p c = \Delta E p c## therefore ##\Delta E p = E \Delta p##. Applying this to (2)

$$\begin{align} \frac{\Delta x \Delta E p \lambda}{h^2} \ge \frac{c}{4 \pi}\end{align} $$

Photons obey ##p \lambda = h## so we can simplify to

$$\begin{align} \frac{\Delta x \Delta E}{h} \ge \frac{c}{4 \pi}\end{align} $$

Photons also obey ##E = h v## so taking standard deviations, ##\Delta E = h \Delta v##. Applying this to the above

$$\begin{align} \Delta x \Delta v \ge \frac{c}{4 \pi}\end{align} $$

We can now use ##\omega = 2 \pi v## to convert from frequency to angular frequency

$$\begin{align} \Delta x \Delta \omega \ge \frac{c}{2}\end{align} $$

This appears to be an uncertainty relation comparing uncertainty in position and uncertainty in angular frequency with the speed of light, one in which ##h## does not appear at all!

On a philosophical tangent, it is my current state of mind that universal constants should not be thought of as quantities with units, but as assertions that certain units are identical in some situations, giving the conversion factor as data. For instance, the universal constant of the speed of light, if used correctly in dimensional analysis, converts meters to seconds or seconds to meters. So in very abstract terms you can think of the speed of light as an assertion that meters are equal to seconds, with the conversion factor ##3 \cdot 10^8## as evidence, and similar for the other universal constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a bit dangerous since you seem to use position operators for a photon commuting in the naive way with its momenta as the position operators for massive particles. This is not easily justified since there is no such position operator for a photon (in fact for any massless particle with spin ##\geq 1##).

• Informative
Likes Negatratoron
Thank you for telling me so. I finally take quantum next semester, so I'll be able to crawl out of the quagmire of self-taught sorcery and onto the dry land of firm, practical foundations.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK

1. What is uncertainty between position and angular frequency?

The uncertainty between position and angular frequency is a measure of the degree of uncertainty or imprecision in determining the position and angular frequency of a particle or system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

2. How is uncertainty between position and angular frequency calculated?

The uncertainty between position and angular frequency is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in angular frequency must be greater than or equal to a constant value (Planck's constant divided by 4π). This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its angular frequency, and vice versa.

3. Why is uncertainty between position and angular frequency important?

Uncertainty between position and angular frequency is important because it is a fundamental property of quantum systems and has implications for the behavior and measurement of particles at the subatomic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can uncertainty between position and angular frequency ever be eliminated?

No, the uncertainty between position and angular frequency cannot be eliminated. This is a fundamental property of quantum systems and is a result of the wave-particle duality of matter. However, it can be reduced by making more precise measurements or by using advanced techniques such as quantum entanglement.

5. How does uncertainty between position and angular frequency relate to other uncertainty principles?

The uncertainty between position and angular frequency is one of several uncertainty principles in quantum mechanics. It is related to other uncertainty principles, such as the uncertainty between energy and time, through the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. These principles all stem from the fundamental concept of uncertainty in the behavior and measurement of subatomic particles.