1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Derivations/Calculation

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If F = aXn = f +- f +δf where a is a constant, show f = xn and [itex]\frac{δf}{f}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{nδx}{x}[/itex].

X = x +- δx

x refers to the average and δx refers to uncertainty in x.

2. Relevant equations
    The power rule for error propagation shows that the uncertainty is multiplied n times (where n is the power raised).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble showing that f = xn. Through the use of algebraic manipulation, I was able to get a(x+δx)n = f + δf. I then made the assumption to ignore the constant a and by deduction say x = 5 +- 0.5, set f = xn because it is continuously multiplied by whatever the function x is to the nth power. The second part is easier- mainly I just took the differential δf = n*xn-1δx. This simplifies to [itex]\frac{δf}{f}[/itex] = n[itex]\frac{δx}{x}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello t and welcome to PF. If I want to help, I have to be able to read what you've written. Could you proofread your stuff and explain what isn't completely universally known language ?

I recognize some aspects from error propagation theory, but I find your jargon hard to understand.

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Hello,

I am supposed to show that f = xn given that F = aXn = f ± δf where a is a constant. X is equal to x ± δx. In plain English, X is equal to the average x, plus or minus the uncertainty in x (δx).

I am having trouble showing that f = xn. I have already derived δf/f using the method shown above.

Thanks again!

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it still looks weird that a should disappear from f. Is that really how it is presented to you ?
    I mean if F = 1000 X2 and X = 5.000 ± 0.001 there is no way that f can be x2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted