Finding Absolute Uncertainty Using Formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving finding the volume and absolute error of a sphere with a given circumference measurement. The writer shares their solution using low and high end measurements and asks for help understanding the intended method using specific formulas. They also inquire about coding in their explanation.
Coop

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have solved the problem, but not the way the writer intended. I need help figuring out how they wanted me to do it.

Here's the problem:

The circumference of a sphere is found to be 0.98 m +/- 0.01 m. Calculate the volume and absolute error with five digits to the right of the decimal.

Homework Equations

C = 2∏r
V = (4/3)∏r3

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the low end (.97 m) and high end (.99 m) circumference measurement to solve for two radii. Then I plugged those into the volume equation and got to volume values: .01541 m3 and .01639 m3. Averaging those volumes I found the final volume to be .01589 m3.

To find the absolute uncertainty I merely subtracted the high end circumference value from the low end one and divided by two.

∴ volume = .01589 m3 +/- .00049 m3.

But my question is, they wanted me to find absolute uncertainty using the following formulas:

Δ[constant]X = [constant]*ΔX to account for constants
(Δtotal/final value) = |n| * [(ΔX)/X] to find uncertainty values where n is an exponent on A
ΔX = [(ΔX)/X] * X to convert from relative to absolute error

...where Δ stands for uncertainty

How would I do this?

It seems a lot more confusing for no reason, but would there be any case when I wouldn't be able to use my method and would have to use these formulas?

P.S. Is there anyway to code when writing these? Like I know for some help sites you can input fractions using commands like \frac{num.}{denom.}

Physics news on Phys.org
Coop said:
The circumference of a sphere is found to be 0.98 m +/- 0.01 m.

What does this even mean, "circumference of a sphere"?

As to your question, what exactly is unclear in the formulae given to you?

To see how to enter stuff like ##V = \frac 4 3 \pi r^3 ##, click the quote button.

1. What is absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is a measure of the range of possible values for a given measurement or data point. It takes into account both the precision of the measurement instrument and the potential errors or variations in the measurement process.

2. How is absolute uncertainty different from relative uncertainty?

Relative uncertainty is a measure of the uncertainty relative to the magnitude of the measurement. It is expressed as a percentage, while absolute uncertainty is expressed in the same units as the measurement itself.

3. How do you calculate absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty can be calculated by taking the difference between the upper and lower bounds of the range of possible values for a measurement. This range can be determined through repeated measurements or by considering the precision and accuracy of the measurement instrument.

4. Why is it important to consider absolute uncertainty in scientific research?

Absolute uncertainty helps to quantify the degree of confidence in a measurement or data point. It allows for a more accurate representation of the true value and helps to identify any potential sources of error in the measurement process. This is crucial for ensuring the validity and reliability of scientific findings.

5. Can absolute uncertainty be reduced?

Absolute uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated, as there will always be some degree of error or variation in measurements. However, it can be reduced by using more precise measurement instruments, minimizing sources of error, and increasing the number of measurements taken.