Uncertainty Principle logic help

In summary, the uncertainty principle contradicts the idea that an object can be at rest relative to an observer.
Fredrik said:
This is at least the third time in a short time that you have claimed that something trivial and obviously correct in one of my posts is wrong, and then started talking to me as if you think I just started to learn this stuff yesterday.
Its unfortunate that you feel the need to read things into my posts which are not there. However in this case you do demonstrate a lack of understanding of the uncertainty principle. This is very common even for people who have studied quantum mechanics, even at the college level.
For some reason you don't seem to do a lot of thinking before you reply to one of my posts.
I see no reason to start making accusations such as this. In case you're unaware of it this kind of response is insulting. I know very well what I'm saying. I can only infer what you mean by what you say. This material was already discussed recently in another thread of the same title. Its for these reasons I've asked you certain questions, i.e. so that from your responses I can determine exactly what you are are trying to say rather than trying to deduce it from what you posts. However if you find that you're unable to respond without this poor attitude then I will not respond to your posts and will place you on my igore list. I don't have the time nor the patience for this kind of nonsense. Your post will be reported to the powers that be in this case. The moderators do not allow posts which are problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated.
It's absurd that you assume that I'm confusing the thing I called dx with the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in the uncertainty relation.
Then please explain the difference between them as you understand them. Why do you think I asked you where you got that idea?? It sure can't be found in any text in quantum mechanics. It does not appear as if you understand the difference from what you've written in your posts, hence my question.
This should be good... prove it.
Your posts have a very combative attitude. This forum is moderated so that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Answer - Simple. First off there is no reason to assume that one can't measure something like position exactly. So in what follows it will be assumed that x is exact. As an example consider an electron moving in the x-direction and for which the wave function initially has a Gaussian shape. Nowe measure the position. Repeat this process and for each value of position record how many times the electron was measured to be at this location. Repeat this process. In theory this will establish a probability density. In practice one cannot carry out infinite amounts of measurements. Note that in each case you start with the same state, i.e. the one described by the Gaussian function. After you have this data then you can determine the "spread" of the values of x. The standard deviation (sd) is the measure of this "spread" of values. Now calculate the standard deviation. The value of the sd is precisely identical to [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. I.e. they are two different words which describe the exact same thing.

Were you aware that the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is identical to the standard deviation? Were you unaware that the value of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is determined from the wave function and has nothing to do with how position is measured?

One last question so that I know we are talking about the same thing - Please post the exact mathematical definition of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and why you believe that it has anything to do with how precise a measurement of something like position is made. Thanks.

Pete

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
Its unfortunate that you feel the need to read things into my posts which are not there.
I'm not sure that I have, but you have read a lot of things into my posts that certainly aren't there. Your replies are often very far off. It's like you're quoting my posts but answering someone else's. I don't usually have a "combative attitude", but your posts have been increasingly annoying. You keep claiming incorrectly that the most obviously correct things I say are actually incorrect, and you keep asking me questions that are far below both of our levels of understanding of the subject (very far) for no good reason. I don't know if you're trying to be condescending, but you are.

I don't think you have a poor understanding of these subjects. I think the problem is that you have your own way of interpreting certain statements, and that you don't realize that no one else interprets them that way. For example in the other thread with the same title, you told me and other people that we were wrong to say that you can't measure two things at the same time. Then it turned out that you didn't actually disagree with what I said. You just had a unique definition of what it would mean to measure two things at the same time: First you talked about how you could do the measurements on two members of an ensemble of identical systems in the same state. Then you talked about how, if there's only one system instead of an ensemble, you have the option to measure either the first observable or the second. No one else would define "measure two things at the same time" that way.

I'm mentioning that because it's a very good example of how you twisted a trivial and completely correct statement around and claimed that it was false.

pmb_phy said:
However in this case you do demonstrate a lack of understanding of the uncertainty principle.
I did not, but it's fascinating that you still think I did. This discussion is not the result of anyone's poor understanding of physics. The problem is that you keep misunderstanding things you read (in my posts) and never go back to check if that's what you did.

pmb_phy said:
Answer - Simple. First off there is no reason to assume that one can't measure something like position exactly. So in what follows it will be assumed that x is exact. As an example consider an electron moving in the x-direction and for which the wave function initially has a Gaussian shape. Nowe measure the position. Repeat this process and for each value of position record how many times the electron was measured to be at this location. Repeat this process. In theory this will establish a probability density. In practice one cannot carry out infinite amounts of measurements. Note that in each case you start with the same state, i.e. the one described by the Gaussian function. After you have this data then you can determine the "spread" of the values of x. The standard deviation (sd) is the measure of this "spread" of values. Now calculate the standard deviation. The value of the sd is precisely identical to [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. I.e. they are two different words which describe the exact same thing.
You claimed that the [itex]\Delta x=\sqrt{\langle(x-\langle x\rangle)^2\rangle}=\sqrt{\langle x^2\rangle-\langle x\rangle^2}[/itex] of a particle in a state described by a wave function that's zero everywhere except at a single point is non-zero. I asked you to prove that, and this is your answer?

(Yes, that is what you said, but you probably don't even realize it. Go back and read what you wrote and the text you replied to).

Seriously, you're talking about determining the probability density associated with a particular quantum state by making a measurement on each member of an infinitely large ensemble of identical systems in the same state. There is absolutely nothing about what you said that proves your claim, or disproves mine, which is (still) that no single measurement on one particle (not an ensemble) will produce a wave function that's zero everywhere except a single point!

pmb_phy said:
I don't have the time nor the patience for this kind of nonsense.
I don't either.

Last edited:
pmb_phy said:
Please post the exact mathematical definition of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and why you believe that it has anything to do with how precise a measurement of something like position is made.
I didn't even notice this before. You are falsely claiming that I believe something ridiculous. Something that only a person who doesn't know what the uncertainty principle says could believe. I have definitely not given you any reason to believe that I believe anything like that.

Why did you ask me this? Do you actually believe that I believe this, or are you just trying to insult me in a way that you think isn't going to be obvious to the moderators?

This thread is going nowhere, and it's time we all go find a lollipop.

Zz.