Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    There is an uncertainty relation between the x component and the y component of the angular momentum L of a particle, because [Lx, Ly] = i[itex]\hbar[/itex]Lz which is not 0.

But what happens when Lz does equal 0? Would we in principle be able to measure both the x and y components of the angular momentum with no uncertainty? What kind of state would this describe?

I've searched my textbooks and the web for an answer to this question, but I haven't found any, so maybe this is actually something really obvious which I'm not seeing! Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How do you know Lz = 0? You need to measure it, and now you have two other uncertainty relations to contend with. This only works if Lx = Ly = Lz = 0.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3
    Oh, I see! Thanks!

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Let's define

[tex]\Delta_A = \sqrt{\langle A^2\rangle - \langle A\rangle^2}[/tex]

Then one can derive

[tex]\Delta_A\,\Delta_B \ge \frac{1}{2} \left| \langle [A,B]\rangle \right|[/tex]

Now you can use this relation by setting A=Lx, B=Ly. But then the expectation value on the r.h.s. means that you have to chose a certain state for which it has to be evaluated. Chosing an eigenstate |m> you get

[tex]\Delta_{L_x}\,\Delta_{L_y} \ge \frac{1}{2} \left| \langle m| {L_z}|m\rangle \right| = \frac{m}{2}[/tex]

You may want to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle#Robertson-Schr.C3.B6dinger_uncertainty_relations

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  6. May 17, 2013 #5
    But those other relations involve (ΔL_x)*(ΔL_z) and (ΔL_y)*(ΔL_z)? What if ΔL_z = 0?

7. May 17, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The general Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation is
    [tex]\Delta A \Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2} \left |\langle \psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}] \psi \rangle \right|[/tex]
    here [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are the observables and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] their reprsenting self-adjoint operator. [itex]\Delta A[/itex] and [itex]\Delta B[/itex] are the standard deviations of the observables and [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] represents the (pure) state of the system. The uncertainty relation also holds for mixed states, of course, but for the principle it's enough to consider pure states.

For [itex]A=L_x[/itex] and [itex]B=L_y[/itex] you have [itex][\hat{L}_x,\hat{L_y}]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \hat{L}_z[/itex]. This gives
    [tex]\Delta L_x \Delta L_y \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \left |\langle \psi|\hat{L}_z| \psi \rangle \right|.[/tex]

8. May 17, 2013 #7
    Right. But I still have a problem with this: If either of the components is exactly zero, say L_z = 0;
    then we get the relations

(ΔLx)(ΔLy) >= 0
    (ΔLy)(ΔLz) >= h\2*E(Lx)

and so on. My problem is the second inequality, when ΔLz = 0.

9. May 17, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How do you know Lz=0 without measuring it?

10. May 17, 2013 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

why is 0 = 0 a problem?

11. May 17, 2013 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course, if the state is such that [itex]\langle L_z \rangle=0[/itex], then the uncertainty relation becomes trivial, but it's still a true relation. There is no problem!

12. May 17, 2013 #11
    Right, good point.. Thanks!

OK, but what is the minimum requirement on the uncertainties of Lx and Ly in this case (I mean if we measure Lz = 0, L^2 != 0). Seems like there should be one?

13. May 17, 2013 #12

Jano L.

Gold Member

Consider the first eigenfunction of the hydrogen Hamiltonian. It is spherically symmetric, so all three angular momentum operators have the same eigenvalue ##0##.

14. May 18, 2013 #13
    Yes, but how about a simultaneous eigenfunction for the operators L^2 and Lz, such that Lz = 0 and L^2 != 0. In this case Ly and Lx must be uncertain(?), so I'm wondering if there's some relation that sets a limit for how precisely these can be determined.

15. May 18, 2013 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

[Lx, Lz] = iLy

16. May 18, 2013 #15
    But is there an explicit requirement on ΔLx and ΔLy? I still don't get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook