Uncountable measure zero subset

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a sequence of dense open subsets of a given set such that the measure of the intersection is zero. The example given tries to construct a G_delta set of the rationals, but it is not possible by Baire's Theorem.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Construct a sequence [itex] (G_n) [/itex] of dense open subsets of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that
[tex] \lambda \left( \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty G_n \right) = 0 [/tex]
and hence deduce that there exists an uncountable subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] of measure 0

Homework Equations

[itex] \lambda [/itex] is the Lebesgue measure on [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This really just seems like a pseudo-extension of the Cantor set to [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex], but I'm not sure how to go about constructing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, forgive me if I'm being dense here. But let q:Z->Q be a bijection of the integers to the rationals. Let G_n be the union of the open intervals (q(k)-1/2^(n+k),q(k)+1/2^(n+k)). Isn't each G_n open and dense? Isn't the intersection of all the G_n just the rationals? Hence having measure zero? How does this help you to prove the existence of an uncountable set of measure zero? I will agree the Cantor set is an example of what you want. But I don't see how this sequence of open dense sets will get you there. Am I missing something?

Dick said:
Uh, forgive me if I'm being dense here.

Pun intended?

Thank you for this example, it was quite useful. I believe that this gives us an uncountable subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] of measure zero, since if a [itex] G_\delta [/itex] subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] is dense, it can't be countable. Hence this example gives a dense [itex] G_\delta [/itex] set, and we are forced to conclude that it is uncountable.

Pun intended. But I also think I might be missing something. I tried to give you an example of a set where the intersection of the open dense sets G_n is, in fact, countable. I don't see how this strategy leads you to conclude the existence of an uncountable set of measure zero.

Good point. Assuming that my result about the uncountability of Gdelta sets is true (and it might not be) then could it be that the intersection is not necessarily that rationals? The Gn are open since they're the union of open sets, and dense since the rationals are contained within. It seems like a problem (if there is one) might occur in the intersection, though I'm not sure how to resolve it immediately.

Edit: I don't think the intersection could be the rationals, otherwise the example would give a G_delta construction of the rationals, which is impossibly by Baire's Theorem.

Nonetheless, I think that your example is correct, since of [itex] G = \cap G_n [/itex] then [itex] G \subset G_n, \forall n[/itex] and so [itex] \lambda(G) \leq \lambda(G_n), \forall n [/itex] and the measure of each [itex] G_n \to 0 \text{ as } n \to \infty [/itex]

Kreizhn said:
Good point. Assuming that my result about the uncountability of Gdelta sets is true (and it might not be) then could it be that the intersection is not necessarily that rationals? The Gn are open since they're the union of open sets, and dense since the rationals are contained within. It seems like a problem (if there is one) might occur in the intersection, though I'm not sure how to resolve it immediately.

Edit: I don't think the intersection could be the rationals, otherwise the example would give a G_delta construction of the rationals, which is impossibly by Baire's Theorem.

I think you are right. I'd better review Baire category stuff.

1. What is a measure zero subset?

A measure zero subset is a subset of a larger set that has a measure of zero, meaning it has no size or volume. This means that the subset contains an infinite number of points, but those points are spread out so thinly that the subset itself has no measurable size.

2. How is a measure zero subset different from a countable set?

A measure zero subset is different from a countable set in that a countable set has a finite or countably infinite number of elements, while a measure zero subset has an uncountably infinite number of elements. Additionally, a measure zero subset is defined by having no measurable size, while a countable set can have a measurable size.

3. Can a measure zero subset contain uncountably infinite elements?

Yes, a measure zero subset can contain uncountably infinite elements. This is because the cardinality of a measure zero subset is based on the size or volume of the subset, not the number of elements it contains. As long as the subset has no measurable size, it can contain an infinite number of elements.

4. What is the significance of a measure zero subset in mathematics?

The concept of a measure zero subset is important in mathematics as it helps us understand and describe sets that have no measurable size. It is also used in various mathematical theories and applications, such as Lebesgue measure theory and the study of fractals.

5. How is a measure zero subset related to the concept of a null set?

A measure zero subset is a type of null set, meaning it has no size or volume. However, not all null sets are measure zero subsets. A null set can have a measurable size, as long as its measure is equal to zero. On the other hand, a measure zero subset must have no measurable size at all.