Undecided between Pure and Applied track

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's interest in both the pure and applied tracks of mathematics and the job prospects associated with each. They questioned if their impressions were correct and if one track was superior in terms of employment opportunities. The conversation also mentioned the need for a higher degree and experience in the pure track to achieve financial stability, while the applied track offers endless possibilities and a competitive job market. The speaker recommended looking at early-career profiles on the AMS website for more information.
Pascal's Pal
As someone who's interested in the history/ideas of mathematics I'm attracted towards the pure track but I'm also attracted to the job prospects of applied math.

Are my impressions wrong? Can one find employment with either concentration, or is the applied track superior in that regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is more "Academic and Career Guidance" than mathematics so I am moving it there.

You need a lot of backing(at least a MSc/PhD and experience) to get to a safe financial situation in the pure track, even then the ceiling of earning is something like US$150,000 per annum. Unless you want to teach or something, but that requires separate instruction and registry. Private schools don't have such strict requisites but the competition is fierce and experience valued.
With a degree in the applied track the possibilities are endless and there's no exact ceiling for earnings, but then understandably more people choose this path and the job market is congested with potential employees. A double major instead of electives at undergraduate level helps the career hunt immensely.
The AMS runs early-career profiles on their site and others you might want to browse around.

1. What is the difference between pure and applied science?

Pure science involves studying the fundamental principles and theories of a particular subject, while applied science focuses on using those principles to solve practical problems in the real world.

2. Which track is better for a career in research?

Both pure and applied science tracks can lead to careers in research. It ultimately depends on your interests and the specific research opportunities available in each track.

3. Will a degree in pure science limit my job opportunities?

No, a degree in pure science can open up a variety of job opportunities in fields such as academia, research, and industry. Many employers value the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are developed in pure science programs.

4. Can I switch between pure and applied science tracks during my studies?

In most cases, it is possible to switch between pure and applied science tracks during your studies. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor and plan out your course schedule carefully to ensure that you meet all the requirements for both tracks.

5. Which track would be better for pursuing a career in medicine?

Both pure and applied science tracks can provide a strong foundation for a career in medicine. However, if you are interested in research and understanding the underlying mechanisms of diseases, a pure science track may be a better fit. If you are more interested in applying scientific knowledge to diagnose and treat patients, an applied science track may be more suitable.