Under what topic can I ask about optimal control

In summary, optimal control is a branch of control theory that uses mathematical and computational methods to find the most efficient and effective way to manipulate a system. It has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology. Unlike other types of control, optimal control considers the entire system and its future behavior, as well as multiple control inputs. Common techniques used in optimal control include calculus of variations, Pontryagin's maximum principle, and dynamic programming. It is also closely related to optimization, but takes into account the dynamic behavior of the system, making it more complex and challenging.
LSMOG
Under what topic can I ask about optimal control

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you are looking for electrical engineering. I took an EE course once that covered lots of control theory. I learned about Kalman filters and so on. As Kalman liked to point out, his work was one reason we were able to land on the moon. I took another course, definitely one of the harder ones, on mathematical optimization, also from the electrical engineering department.

Thanks

1. What is optimal control?

Optimal control is a branch of control theory that deals with finding the best way to control a system in order to achieve a desired outcome. It involves using mathematical and computational methods to determine the most efficient and effective way to manipulate a system.

2. What are some common applications of optimal control?

Optimal control has many applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, and biology. It is often used to optimize the performance of systems such as aircraft, robots, and industrial processes. It is also used to solve problems related to resource allocation, route planning, and disease control.

3. How does optimal control differ from other types of control?

Optimal control differs from other types of control, such as feedback control, in that it takes into account the entire system and its future behavior, rather than just the current state. It also considers multiple control inputs and their effects on the system, rather than just a single input.

4. What are some techniques used in optimal control?

Some common techniques used in optimal control include calculus of variations, Pontryagin's maximum principle, and dynamic programming. These methods involve optimizing a cost function that represents the desired outcome and constraints of the system.

5. How is optimal control related to optimization?

Optimal control is a type of optimization problem, where the goal is to find the best control inputs to minimize a cost function. However, optimal control also takes into account the dynamic behavior of the system, rather than just finding a static solution. This makes it more complex and challenging than traditional optimization methods.