Undergrad, Grad, Postdoc, Tenure Stream

In summary, there is a strong demand for Ph.D.s in math, but the chances of someone achieving that degree are not 100% certain.
Manicwhale
How many people out of the original number entering as a physics or physics/math undergrad (overall, not at any specific university) will:

1. Get their B.Sc.?
2. Get their Ph.D.?
3. Become a PostDoc, or stay in the academic stream in some way?
4. Become a professor?
5. Become a tenure stream professor?

In other words, what are the chances of reaching each stage? Feel free to add more stages if you feel they are appropriate.

Physics news on Phys.org
i have no idea. when i was a freshman math major at harvard in 1960, there were 110 roughly students in my fall honors calculus class. there were about half that many in the second semester, and i heard something like a handful finished as math majors.

i myself got a D- in 2nd semester and only returned to the fold much later. It required far more than mere smarts, everyone had that,... it took desire, dedication, persistence, and good study habits [ i mean every day], and ability to accept how many really smart people are out there, and how many of them are in math, and to accept whatever ones own place among them may turn out to be. obviously not all the high school valedictorians are going to be that in college. and all the state math champs from here to there who cannot accept being in the middle of the pack at univ, drop away. those who only want to be first, instead of learn the subject, often give up for an easier path.

this was 40+ years ago, but is similar to my elder son's experience in the 1990's at stanford. many schools today try very hard to keep more majors, but there is a strong temptation for students to major in something far easier. some of them say "i can get an A with half the work in another subject". maybe so. but...then what ?

there is a reason most new profs hired in math in US today are from other countries - Russia, Romania, Iran, China, Korea, Canada, Croatia, Italy, Spain, ...

Last edited:
a positive aspect for interested parties nowadays is the desire of the funding agencies to increase the number of US citizens obtaoning these degrees. There is a program at NSF funded by millions of dollars called VIGRE, which provides good stipends for US stiudents who go into grad programs in math. This enables math departments who have these grants, to admit many more students than before and to pay them better and give them less teaching duties.

This enables US students, often with weaker backgrounds than their foreign counterparts, to have an advantage in these US programs. It gives them an edge in admissions and a more advantageous situation for doing their work.

In short there is a buyers market in many graduate math programs in US today as it is hard to find US citizens who are qualified to complete Phd in math. So this is a good time to be looking for this degree. as the programs are offering as much help as possible to students who might not have been considered qualified in the past. Graduate progrms are creating "remedial" graduate entry level courses to bring US math majors up to speed. This targets talented people who attended schools where the course work was below standard.

Just the opposite obtained in the late 1970's when some universities kicked out students right and left because of a perceived glut of phD's.

Last edited:
For a broad survey that includes other sciences and engineers (which may or may not be useful to you), see this study:

http://www.urban.org/publications/411562.html

1. What is the difference between undergrad, grad, postdoc, and tenure stream positions?

Undergrad refers to undergraduate students who are pursuing a bachelor's degree. Grad refers to graduate students who are pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. Postdoc refers to postdoctoral researchers who have completed their PhD and are continuing their research under the supervision of a principal investigator. Tenure stream refers to a faculty position with the potential for obtaining tenure, typically at a university or college.

2. What are the requirements for each of these positions?

The requirements for each position vary, but generally, undergrads must have a high school diploma or equivalent and meet the admission requirements of the university or college they are applying to. Grad students must have a bachelor's degree and meet the admission requirements of the graduate program they are applying to. Postdocs must have a PhD in a relevant field and have completed their doctoral studies. Tenure stream positions typically require a PhD and a strong research and teaching record.

3. How long does it take to complete each of these positions?

The time it takes to complete each of these positions varies. Undergraduate degrees usually take 4 years to complete, while graduate degrees can take 2-6 years depending on the program. Postdocs can range from 1-3 years, and tenure stream positions typically require a probationary period of 6-7 years before obtaining tenure.

4. What are the career opportunities after completing these positions?

Undergrads can pursue entry-level positions in their field or continue their studies in graduate school. Grad students can pursue careers in academia, industry, or government, or continue their studies to obtain a PhD. Postdocs can pursue careers in academia, industry, or government, or continue their research as a principal investigator. Tenure stream positions can lead to a tenured faculty position at a university or college, or a career in research or industry.

5. What is the typical salary for each of these positions?

The salary for each of these positions varies depending on the field, location, and level of experience. In general, undergrads and grad students may receive stipends or hourly wages, while postdocs and tenure stream positions typically have higher salaries. According to the National Science Foundation, the average salary for postdocs in the US in 2019 was $54,000, and the average salary for assistant professors (tenure stream) was $83,000.