Undergrad Major in Economics vs. Self-Studying for Grad School in Math

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tronter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    School
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
tronter
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
Lets say that one wants to major in economics for undergrad school. But he wants to obtain a PhD in math in graduate school. If he self studies math on the side, can he still get into good graduate schools?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar question. Can an Electrical Engineering graduate get into grad school for a PhD in physics?
 
I have the same question as ajsingh, but how about materials or aerospace engineering?
 
It would depend on what specifically you've studied in your undergrad days, and what field of physics you wish to enter into. I don't think it's that common for an engineering graduate to switch to physics, but is more common the other way around.

For the maths/economics question, again it depends upon how much maths you've studied, and what field you wish to enter into. I think your chances are greater if you wanted to go into applied maths or stats rather than pure, though.