Undergrad research professor choice

In summary, the person on exchange at a university has a unique advantage in choosing an undergraduate research position due to the lack of competition and the prestige of their university. However, the professors in the field of interest are adjunct faculty, including one very famous professor who is not in line with the person's research interests. The dilemma is whether to choose the famous professor for potential graduate school recommendation or a lesser known adjunct with more interesting research, but requiring a longer commute. The advice given is to prioritize the research project that is most interesting to the person, as the content of a reference letter holds more weight than the reputation of the person providing it.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am on exchange at a university where there are not a lot of students fighting for undergrad research positions, so I have pretty much any pick I want in what group I want to join, coupled with the fact that I go to a famous University makes professors to want to have me on their team. The sad part is, the professors who research in areas that I like are adjunct faculty. There is one professor here in particular who is very famous in my field and is one of the most cited professors of his kind. However, I am not super crazy about his research. I don't dislike it, but I'm not particularly excited about it, more just neutral towards it.

If I have aspirations for grad school, should I just go with the most famous professor and deal with the fact that I am not crazy about his research, or go with a lesser known adjunct faculty who has interesting research (I have to go to a government lab ~1 hour commute just to get to the adjunct's lab) vs. research at the university? The hope of course is that I can get a letter of recommendation from the professor that I ultimately work with for graduate school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if he's so famous will he even see you around? My own opinion is to go with the research you like and then you'll ahow some passion for it later on.

Do the research project you're most interested in.

The content of a reference letter is more important than the qualified person it comes from.

1. How do I choose an undergrad research professor?

The best way to choose an undergrad research professor is to first identify your research interests and then look for professors who have similar research areas. You can also talk to your academic advisor or other students who have done research to get recommendations.

2. What qualities should I look for in an undergrad research professor?

Some qualities to look for in an undergrad research professor include expertise in your research area, accessibility and availability, good communication skills, and a positive attitude towards mentoring undergrad students.

3. Can I do research with a professor outside of my major?

Yes, you can do research with a professor outside of your major. In fact, it can be beneficial to work with a professor from a different field as it can provide a different perspective and broaden your knowledge.

4. How many professors should I reach out to for undergrad research opportunities?

It is recommended to reach out to multiple professors (at least 3-5) for undergrad research opportunities. This increases your chances of finding a professor with available funding and aligning research interests.

5. What should I do if I am not happy with my undergrad research professor?

If you are not happy with your undergrad research professor, it is important to communicate your concerns with them first. If the issue cannot be resolved, you can reach out to your academic advisor or department head for guidance on how to switch to a different research project or professor.