• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Undergraduate choosing math courses

• Thread starter salad
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a bit, first time posting. I'm a second year math student looking to work in quantitative trading as a career. Right now I'm planning out the courses to take for my next few years, and was looking for advice. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

-Financial Engineering
-Operations Research
-Probability and Stochastic processes (required)
-Linear Algebra (required)
-Financial math
-Number theory
-Optimization

How does this look? Any advice is helpful - along with input on which courses are tough (so I can take easier electives that semester). Also, if there are any additional electives you guys think I should add, I have interests in CS (particularly Python programming) and Physics (something that deals with magnetism and/or propulsion).

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a bit, first time posting. I'm a second year math student looking to work in quantitative trading as a career. Right now I'm planning out the courses to take for my next few years, and was looking for advice. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

-Financial Engineering
-Operations Research
-Probability and Stochastic processes (required)
-Linear Algebra (required)
-Financial math
-Number theory
-Optimization

How does this look? Any advice is helpful - along with input on which courses are tough (so I can take easier electives that semester). Also, if there are any additional electives you guys think I should add, I have interests in CS (particularly Python programming) and Physics (something that deals with magnetism and/or propulsion).

Thanks!
Where is Differential Equations ? Number Theory is pretty theoretical, I think; I am not sure that this is something that "quants" use in their daily life. Is this required for the mathematics major? If it is not, you might look for something more applied -- additional computer science or physics, maybe Statistical Mechanics/Physics?

Differential Equations surprisingly isn't required. Do you think I should add it? The curriculum here is very open so I have a lot of discretion in the courses I choose. Mainly I'm focusing on applicable knowledge that I can also do well in (failing classes is never a good look).

For the mathematics major I'll need math or statistics courses, so CS/physics is only for additional coursework outside of the major requirement.

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Differential Equations surprisingly isn't required. Do you think I should add it? The curriculum here is very open so I have a lot of discretion in the courses I choose. Mainly I'm focusing on applicable knowledge that I can also do well in (failing classes is never a good look).

For the mathematics major I'll need math or statistics courses, so CS/physics is only for additional coursework outside of the major requirement.
I am surprised that DiffEQs is not required. I would take it, but I am a lowly chemist.