Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston

In summary, the speaker is looking for information on pursuing a second bachelor's degree in Physics in the Boston area. They have a BA in Communications and have been a writer for 10 years. They are not happy with their current education and are considering moving to Boston. They have taken Physics I & II and Calc I & II and received A's. They are willing to commute up to 30 miles and are looking for schools where they can live within 10 miles of the city with their family. They are considering UMass-Lowell and UMass-Amherst, but are also open to other cities in the northeast. They are looking for a school with a good reputation for science and the opportunity to do research. They are also interested
SpaceDeez
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide me with any information on pursuing a second bachelor's degree in Physics in the Boston area.

Background: I have a BA in Communications (3.3 GPA) and have been a writer for 10 years. I went back to school last year in the Midwest to pursue a second bachelor's degree in Physics and am not happy with the education I am receiving, so I want to move to Boston to continue. I've taken Physics I & II and Calc I & II and received A's in all the classes. I've been working and taking classes (1-2 per semester), so I would need to continue to do that in Boston.

Questions: Which schools might be a good fit for me, where I can live in the actual city of Boston (within 10 miles at the farthest) with my family? (I'm willing to commute 20-30 miles if necessary.) Do the bigger, private (more expensive) universities even offer a second bachelor's degree? (Most around the country seem to only offer one from their secondary "schools of professional studies"; I'm looking for a regular second undergrad degree.)

I've done research, so I'm not going into this blind, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any firsthand knowledge of second bachelor degrees in Physics in Boston. I'm thinking UMass-Lowell could be the best fit for me, since it has a decent reputation for science. UMass-Boston is another option but I don't think they are known at all for Physics. As far as the bigger schools, like Boston U, MIT, Boston College, Northeastern or Tufts, I doubt I could even get into them as a second bachelor degree-seeking student, but I really have no clue.

I'm also considering UMass-Amherst (which has a good reputation for Physics), but then I would have to live in a college town and I'm not sure that my wife and I could find good jobs there. That being said, I am also open to larger cities in the northeast (excluding NYC) where the job opportunities are prevalent.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not the most qualified person to answer this question by any means. I am an undergraduate myself.

There are a plethora of online resources that you can use to supplement the education you are receiving right where you are for FREE. Why are you not happy with the education you are receiving?

You keep saying X school is not known for physics. Why do you see that as a problem?

I have used many online resources to enhance my education and I agree that it is a great way to acquire more knowledge. I couldn't have done well in my current classes without it.

However, I would like to be with students and teachers who share my passion for physics and can teach me things outside of class. At my current school, most people are engineers and I am pursuing Astronomy/Astrophysics. Its hard enough being the "older guy" but even the teachers don't seem to love what they are doing. I found myself often correcting teachers mistakes and helping other students with problems. I usually had to figure out problems on my own. I have been through college before so I can tell the difference between teachers who love what they do and ones who settled. I'm just looking for a place where there are people I can talk to and learn from.

It would be great to get some experience in the field too and do research before I pursue grad school. I currently live in Louisville, KY and there are very few opportunities in Astrophysics.

The biggest concern I have right now about Boston is to which schools, if any, do I have a chance of being admitted. I know I can learn the material one way or another.

In terms of most pursuing engineering, that is typical of Physics I and II everywhere I believe. I had 400 kids in those classes and now that I am in upper division classes I have ~25 students in my classes. Maybe go sit in on an upper division physics class and see how you like it.

I don't know anything about schools in Boston that you can't find online. I know schools in Utah are very cheap (USU and U of U) and have good programs. You can get in state tuition after you live there for year. MSN just ranked USU the best university in the country (I think for its value).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info maughanster.

If anyone is currently pursuing astrophysics as a career in Boston or is a current undergrad in Physics with hopes of going into astrophysics, I would love to hear about your school experience in Massachusetts. Thanks.

1. What is a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston?

A Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston is an undergraduate degree program that allows individuals who have already earned a bachelor's degree in a different field to pursue a second bachelor's degree specifically in the field of physics. This program is typically designed for individuals who have a strong interest in physics and want to further their education in this subject.

2. What are the requirements for a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston?

The specific requirements for a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston may vary depending on the institution. However, most programs will require applicants to have completed a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics or engineering. Additionally, applicants may need to have completed specific prerequisite courses in physics and mathematics.

3. How long does it take to complete a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston?

The duration of a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston can vary depending on the program and the individual's course load. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete the degree. However, if a student has completed some of the prerequisite courses, it may take less time.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston?

A Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, and education. Graduates can also pursue further education in graduate programs in physics or related fields.

5. Can I transfer credits from my previous bachelor's degree towards a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston?

Some institutions may allow transfer credits from previous bachelor's degree towards a Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics in Boston. However, this will depend on the specific program and the courses taken. It is best to check with the institution directly to determine transfer credit eligibility.