Undergraduate Probability Textbook with Multiple Choice Practice Problems

In summary, the conversation discussed the request for textbooks with multiple-choice or true-false questions at the end of each chapter to practice for a final exam in an undergraduate probability course. The conversation also mentioned the topics covered in the course, including moments and statistics, covariance, correlation, and special distributions. The speaker also mentioned not knowing any textbooks with multiple-choice questions, but liked the introductory chapter on probability theory in Risken's textbook on the Fokker-Planck equation.
Hughng
Would you please introduce me some textbooks that offer multiple choice or true-false questions at the end of each chapter so I can practice before my final exam? Basically, that class I am taking right now cover many central topics in Undergraduate Probability course such as:

• Moments and statistics

• Covariance, correlation, conditional expectation

• Special distributions (Binomial, Hypergeometric, Geometric, negative binomial, Poisson, Gamma, Normal, Bernoulli)

• Law of Large Numbers (LLN)

• Central Limit Theorem (CLT)

Thank you so much.

probability-theory

Physics news on Phys.org
I liked the introductory chapter on probability theory in the textbook by Risken on the Fokker-Planck equation, but I guess that's more graduate than undergraduate level, and there are no multiple-choice questions in it. In fact, I don't know any textbook with multiple-choice questions...

1. What topics are covered in this undergraduate probability textbook?

This textbook covers topics such as basic probability concepts, conditional probability, random variables, probability distributions, and statistical inference.

2. Are there solutions provided for the multiple choice practice problems?

Yes, the textbook includes solutions for all of the multiple choice practice problems to help students check their work and understand the correct reasoning.

3. Is this textbook suitable for self-study or is it better for use in a classroom setting?

This textbook can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. The multiple choice practice problems make it convenient for self-paced learning, while the comprehensive coverage of topics makes it suitable for use in a classroom.

4. Are there any online resources or additional materials available for this textbook?

Yes, the textbook may come with access to online resources such as interactive quizzes, video lectures, and supplementary materials to further enhance learning.

5. Is this textbook appropriate for all levels of undergraduate students?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for students at all levels of undergraduate study. It provides a solid foundation in probability concepts for students in a variety of majors, such as mathematics, statistics, engineering, and social sciences.