Undergraduate research experience with no results

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the person should include their no-result "research experience" in their personal statement for graduate physics school. They explain their experience with researching dark matter and how they came up with an idea that was later found to be incorrect. They also mention their concerns about including this experience and their plans for continuing research during a gap year.
Shing Ernst
Should I include my no-result "research experience" into my personal statement for graduate physics school?

My undergrad research experience is basely:

1.) My professor suggested a field - dark matter - to me. (Back then, he was working on mostly Earth science observations, so I did everything almost on my own)
2.) I searched all the paper and information on my own. and read them. (Mostly I did not understand them)

3.) I came up an educated idea: will dark matter form a black hole? given the impressive scale of black hole, we could possibly found some easier way to measure the existence of dark matter, perhaps?

4.) But later with a sanity check, I have found my idea was almost 99% wrong: Considering Newton mechanics, and assuming a cloud of dark matter is a big sphere. Any other dark matter particles will simply do simple harmonic oscillation. The chance for them to meet right at the center to form a black hole is in the teeth of odds; hence practically, you can hardly "observe" dark matter black hole. **

5.) For practical reasons, it was a dead end for me *** then I could just do the sort of studies report (the kind of representation about what I had learned... )** I know there are some assumptions, but for simplicity's sake, I have just typed the very idea.

*** a.) I was taking two major courses at that time b.) I had three months left for my undergrad research c.) I have some health issues.

Should my personal statement include this result-free experience? I mean, sure, I learned something from it... but I don't want the committee under an impression that I am looking for excuses.

Also, since I will be taking a gap year, not sure if I should continue the research, say, at least give it some try with programming?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did an internship where they basically told us, that if we found the answer or got great results, then we'd probably become Nobel prize candidates. I'm not a graduate students and haven't applied, but I don't think it's about results... maybe more on the critical thinking skills and the work that you did; what did you learn?

Likes symbolipoint
I really wouldn't consider that a research project. You didn't do any original work, you just had an idea and then read more about it and found out it wouldn't work. You didn't do anything original that you mentioned here (made no measurements, did no unique math, wrote no code). You don't have to come up with something brand-new and exciting in physics to count it as official research, but you do need to do something other than read about what other people have done.

Shing Ernst said:
Should I include my no-result "research experience" into my personal statement for graduate physics school?

My undergrad research experience is basely:

1.) My professor suggested a field - dark matter - to me. (Back then, he was working on mostly Earth science observations, so I did everything almost on my own)
2.) I searched all the paper and information on my own. and read them. (Mostly I did not understand them)

3.) I came up an educated idea: will dark matter form a black hole? given the impressive scale of black hole, we could possibly found some easier way to measure the existence of dark matter, perhaps?

4.) But later with a sanity check, I have found my idea was almost 99% wrong: Considering Newton mechanics, and assuming a cloud of dark matter is a big sphere. Any other dark matter particles will simply do simple harmonic oscillation. The chance for them to meet right at the center to form a black hole is in the teeth of odds; hence practically, you can hardly "observe" dark matter black hole. **

5.) For practical reasons, it was a dead end for me *** then I could just do the sort of studies report (the kind of representation about what I had learned... )** I know there are some assumptions, but for simplicity's sake, I have just typed the very idea.

*** a.) I was taking two major courses at that time b.) I had three months left for my undergrad research c.) I have some health issues.

Should my personal statement include this result-free experience? I mean, sure, I learned something from it... but I don't want the committee under an impression that I am looking for excuses.

Also, since I will be taking a gap year, not sure if I should continue the research, say, at least give it some try with programming?
I'm no professor, but I don't see why you shouldn't include it on the CV. You did some reading, you independently formulated a hypothesis, you made a simple model to test the hypothesis and you ended up falsifying the hypothesis. I think that's OK considering you're had no support from your supervisor, but if anybody read the CV and asks you about this, remain humble.

Thanks everyone!
Indeed, my problem is that I learn nothing technical. (merely a practice of scientific inquire. that's important, but I am not sure the committee of MIT, etc will care... they simply assume you have?)
And in hindsight, I think I should have looked for my professor actively to discuss and ask more questions. (maybe that's the only thing I have learned? it sounds a bit sad ...)

1. What should I do if my undergraduate research experience yielded no results?

If your research did not yield any results, do not get discouraged. It is important to remember that research is a process and sometimes experiments do not go as planned. Reflect on your experimental design, methods, and potential sources of error. You can also discuss your findings with your mentor or other researchers to gain insight and identify potential next steps.

2. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate research experience without any results?

Even if your research did not yield any results, there are still valuable lessons and skills that you can gain from the experience. Focus on the process of conducting research and the skills you have developed, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. You can also use this experience to improve your experimental design and data collection methods for future research projects.

3. Will having no results in my undergraduate research experience negatively impact my future opportunities?

No, having no results in your undergraduate research experience does not necessarily have a negative impact on your future opportunities. It is more important to demonstrate your research skills, dedication, and ability to learn from failures. You can also highlight the lessons you have learned and the potential next steps for your research in your future applications.

4. Should I mention my lack of results in my undergraduate research experience on my resume or graduate school applications?

It is up to your discretion whether or not to mention your lack of results in your undergraduate research experience on your resume or graduate school applications. If your research experience was a significant part of your academic journey, it may be worth mentioning and framing it as a learning experience. However, if you have other research experiences or accomplishments, you may choose to focus on those instead.

5. How can I approach my mentor about my undergraduate research experience with no results?

When discussing your research experience with your mentor, it is important to be open and honest. Explain your methods, results, and any potential sources of error. Ask for feedback and guidance on how to improve your research in the future. Your mentor is there to support and guide you, and they may have valuable insights and suggestions for your next steps.