Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate research topic help?

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to start a new undergraduate research project.
    I have about 2 years to finish it, but honestly, I'm unsure as to what to do.
    Everything I really want to do is theoretical, but I need to design an experiment off of it, which would be tough.
    I was wondering if any of you have any idea as to what I could do relating to:
    • Exoplanets
    • Stellar atmospheres
    • Astro-engineering concepts
    • Dark matter/dark energy
    • Space/Time ripples around a black hole
    • Any other astrophysics/astrobiology topic
    I'm not quite sure what kinda of experiments I could do, especially at my level.
    If any of you could give me some ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You can do some exoplanet transits with amateur equipment. Perhaps a long term study of a known exoplanet that transits to see if the timing of the transits changes? This would suggest something, perhaps another planet, altering it's orbit.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I suggest you check out the possibility to do some real research using the CubeSat program. Look especially at the “Applications” section for opportunities.

“A CubeSat is a type of miniaturized satellite for space research that usually has a volume of exactly one liter (10 cm cube), has a mass of no more than 1.33 kilograms,[1] and typically uses commercial off-the-shelf electronics components. Beginning in 1999, California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) and Stanford University developed the CubeSat specifications to help universities worldwide to perform space science and exploration.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

So, as an undergraduate I'm assuming you're not doing this in isolation? Why don't you go talk to the astrophysics professors at your university and see what they're up to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook