Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding a stress equation

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    I really need help understanding how the book created the equation from the book. I would really appreciate help understanding it. The attachment shows an image and the equation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They've divided by dz and canceled out some terms; that might be why it's a little confusing. The force (pressure times area) on the top surface is

[tex]\left[\sigma_y+\left(\frac{\partial \sigma_y}{\partial y}\right)dy\right]dx\,dz[/tex]

and the distance (lever arm length) is [itex]dx/2[/itex]. But the force on the bottom surface is

[tex]\sigma_y\,dx\,dz[/tex]

which creates a moment in the opposite direction that cancels out part of the moment from the force on the top surface. Starting to make sense now?

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    Wow, thanks so much. The cancelling of dz was part of what was confusing me. Also, I was just looking at the diagram incorrectly for no particular reason, but since I saw it wrong initially I could not get it out of my head.

Also, how do you type formulas into this forum?

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just click on the formula to see the markup language.

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5
    tanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook