Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding abelian Galois groups

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1
    Hi, a quick question:

If f is a degree n irreducible polynomial in Q[x] and the Galois group G of f is abelian, then
    1. How do we know that G has exactly n elements?
    2. Is the Galois group necessary cyclic?

I think that since f is irreducible, the Galois group must contain an automorphism of order n. So n [itex]\leq |Gal(f)| [/itex]. But what about the other inequality?

As for the answer to my second question, I thought it would be yes but now as I think about it, maybe not because G is a finitely generated abelian group. So by the Fundamental Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups, if [itex]n=(p_1)^{a_1} (p_2)^{a_2} ... (p_k)^{a_k} [/itex], then [itex]Gal(f) \cong \left[\frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p_1^{a_1}\mathbb{Z}} \times ... \times \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p_k^{a_k} \mathbb{Z}} \right][/itex]????

Please help...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2
    Primitive Element Theorem, show that finite extensions over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] are seperable and the are equal to the order of the Galois group since the field charachteristic of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] is [tex]0[/tex].

No. Cyclotomic Extensions are a special case when Galois groups are cyclic. But consider for example [tex]E=\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/tex] then [tex]\mbox{Gal}(E/\mathbb{Q})\simeq \mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] which is not cyclic.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that does it; while you are guaranteed that the splitting field of f has primitive elements, a priori you have no guarantee that the roots of f are among them.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the theorem of kronecker /weber? says that every abelian extension is a subfield of a cytclotomic extension. that pretty much describes them fully i guess.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. Aug 3, 2007 #5
    @Hurky, yes I appologize I made a mistake I was thinking about something else.

Is Algebraic Number Theory your area of research? Because that is something I am (hopefully) going into. Though, there are many other beautiful areas as well, i.e. Harmonic Analysis. I am asking because I would like to see a proof of this nice theorem.

7. Aug 5, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i can find a reference for you but it is not my area and i have not read the proof.

8. Aug 5, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

maybe silverman, advanced topics in the arithmetic of algebraic curves?

9. Aug 5, 2007 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

10. Aug 5, 2007 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

11. Aug 5, 2007 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

12. Aug 6, 2007 #11
    Thank you MathWonk. I once sent an e-mail to Lord Peter Swinnerton-Dyer. Does anybody know if Bryan Birch is still alive?

13. Aug 6, 2007 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

14. Mar 3, 2010 #13
    This does do it. We were considering polynomials which are irreducible in Q, but this is the Galois group of the polynomial f = ((x^2)-2)((x^2)-3), which is clearly not irreducible. However, you are correct.
    I am looking for a polynomial (preferably quintic) to research that is irreducible and has a nonabelian galois group. I also require it to not have the form (x^n) - a, where a is in Q. Does anyone have any suggestions of such a polynomial?

15. Mar 3, 2010 #14
    The extension [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/tex] is also generated by the roots of the polynomial: [tex]x^4-10x^2+1[/tex], which is irreducible.

As for a quintic polynomials with non-abelian galois group...the vast majority of irreducible quintic polynomials have galois group [tex]S_5[/tex]. I suggest you pick one at random!

16. Mar 4, 2010 #15
    Thanks. I'm just trying to work out how you found this out. [tex]x^4-10x^2+1[/tex] is factorized as [tex](x^2 + a)(x^2 + b)[/tex], where a = -5 +/- 4\sqrt{6} and
    b = -5 -/+\sqrt{6}. The four roots (a1,a2,a3,a4) are then the +/- roots of a. And q = a1+a2
    w=a1 + a3, e = a1 +a4 make up the fixed field Q(q^2,w^2,e^2) and the galois group is Q(q,w,e). so q,w or e equal to \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{2} and the other is 0? I am pretty sure I am doing something very wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

17. Mar 4, 2010 #16
    You have made a couple of mistakes in you calculations. [tex]x^4-10x^2+1[/tex] actually factorizes as:[tex](x^2 - a)(x^2 - b)[/tex], where [tex]a=5+2\sqrt{6}[/tex] and [tex]b=5-2\sqrt{6}[/tex].

So the roots are: [tex]\pm \sqrt{5+2\sqrt{6}}[/tex] and [tex]\pm \sqrt{5-2\sqrt{6}}[/tex].

This is the same as: [tex]\sqrt{2}\pm \sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]-\sqrt{2}\pm \sqrt{3}[/tex]. (note that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is the square root of [tex]5+2\sqrt{6}[/tex]).

But that isn't the way I found this out! This is a fairly commonly used example of a polynomial with galois group the Klein 4-group, and I had remembered seeing it on wikipedia. ;-)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  18. Mar 5, 2010 #17
    Thanks! I am looking for a polynomial [tex]x^4+ax^2+b[/tex], that has a Galois group that is the dihedral group of order 8. Thus, I imagine, it must have roots a1,a2,a3,a4, where a1+a2 = sqrt{j}, a1 + a3 = sqrt{k} and a1 + a4 = sqrt{l}, with sqrt{j}, sqrt{k}, sqrt{l} irrational. pretty stuck. any help would be very much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?