Understanding Bombay Blood Group and its Compatibility for Blood Donation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blood Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Suraj M
Gold Member
Messages
596
Reaction score
39
If an individual has a genotype##I^oI^o## and ##hh## is he considered to be O or bombay blood group?
Also i read that a person with bombay blood group can donate blood to anyone but can accept only from a person of his blood group, why can't he/she accept blood from O-ve?( is there a H antibody?)
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
that answers my second question, but contradicts my teachers statement. :(
Thank you anyway,
Anyone for my first question?
 
Suraj M said:
If an individual has a genotype##I^oI^o## and ##hh## is he considered to be O or bombay blood group?

Would that individual be able to accept blood donations from an O-type individual or only from h/h-type individuals?
 
he can take from O, probably, but if there are H antibodies then , no!
My teacher said that There is no H antibody , but wikipedia says that there are..
 
Here's a more definitive reference which says there is an H antigen:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2268/

As I read the article more, it says people may have a deficit of the H so I'm looking for a better article to explain it.

I think your teacher meant to say that people with this blood type don't express the H antigen.
 
Last edited:
I don't feel like trusting that article they say that parabombay blood group have a genotype HH, andthat they have anti-H, which i don't think exists naturally.
I asked another teacher, he said that though there might not be secifically H antibodies, but there will be some reaction, when blood(Hh/HH) is mixed with bombay blood group blood.
 
For your first question, yes, it is Bombay blood group since O has H not h.
There are anti-H antibodies according to my teacher who swears by Wikipedia :P
 
you have some interesting Bio questions :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Suraj M