Understanding Charge Separation in the Presence of Static Electricity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ChunkymonkeyI
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




What should happen to the electrons in a insulated metal object when a negatively charged plastic rod is brought near the insulated metal


The Attempt at a Solution


I thought the electrons will repel each other and the insulated object will move away from the rod but I don't think I'm right can someone back me up on this and explain their answer for my question
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons are free to move in the metal. They will be repelled by the charge on the rod as you say, but they will move on the metal, causing a charge separation. There will be repulsion of the negative charges gathered on one side and attraction of the positive charge leftover on the other side. You'll have to have your wits about you to figure out which force is stronger.