What is creationism and why is it relevant to science?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 16K views
She hit the nail on the head!
Nereid said:
Let's talk about the teaching of science and the role of religion ...
...Note that there's nothing 'religious' about this, it's pure politics.

The Creationists (christian and non-christian) have both attempted to smash a nut with a hammer, but have cracked the anvil instead. Neither is there anything 'political' about it, it is pure 'religion'.
This in essence is to see the conflict through both pairs of eyes. I personally see the separation of church and state in the US and UK as the same as Stalin's or Mao's separation of church and state. We have our belief in the same way as many have a Republican, democrat, Labour, conservative, Liberal belief etc.
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ian said:
She hit the nail on the head!


The Creationists (christian and non-christian) have both attempted to smash a nut with a hammer, but have cracked the anvil instead. Neither is there anything 'political' about it, it is pure 'religion'.
This in essence is to see the conflict through both pairs of eyes. I personally see the separation of church and state in the US and UK as the same as Stalin's or Mao's separation of church and state. We have our belief in the same way as many have a Republican, democrat, Labour, conservative, Liberal belief etc.
Thanks Ian.

So you personally would wish to live in a (christian) theocratic state (= nation)?
 
Ian said:
I personally see the separation of church and state in the US and UK as the same as Stalin's or Mao's separation of church and state.

You have personally seen Christian churches persecuted and shut down and the believers imprisoned by the US and UK governments?
 
No I haven't, and it wouldn't be allowed in our places. Look, this thread is really about the 'creationist' issue and I don't want to hijack a debate that has gone for five pages.
But since you ask, yes I would like to live in a 'theocratic' state but not the kind of state that would be run by the Christians who have control over the churches today. They have raised the 'militant church' which espouses the highest authority as the clergy/pastor/pope etc. They are named as the 'Church of God' in the bible and are only one part of the 'body of Christ', but they are certainly not the highest authority that the bible speaks about.
 
Thanks Ian, yes we really should try to stay OT, and not stray OT :rolleyes:

Well, we were talking about creationism, and as it's part of the Earth sub-forum, I guess that means alternative views of geology. If that is indeed the case, then I think we're done; no one is proposing any YEC (or similar) ideas, and all those who've spoken have said (paraphrasing; oversimplifying?) that they think it's not really science, and has no data to support it.