Understanding Electric Force on Q in Relation to Distance d and Charge Q1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
adamaero
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Three point charges Q, Q1, and Q2 are separated by a distance d from each other in a homogeneous medium. Find the electric force on Q.
Relevant Equations
Pythagorean theorem
1564865385751.png

x^2 + d^2/4 = d^2
x = sqrt(3d^2/4)
F_1x = sqrt(3)*d*k*Q1/2.
In the solution, where did the "d" in the numerator go??
1564865144356.png

Is my math wrong?
 
Attachments
  • 1564864319710.png
    1564864319710.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
adamaero said:
F_1x = sqrt(3)*d*k*Q1/2.
I cannot make sense of that equation. I think you have some typos, and an unclear notation.
Is that ##F_1x## or ##F_{1x}## on the left?
Why are you multiplying by d instead of dividing by d2?
 
adamaero said:
x^2 + d^2/4 = d^2
x = sqrt(3d^2/4)
Why are you calculating the distance "x"?
 
haruspex said:
I cannot make sense of that equation. I think you have some typos, and an unclear notation.
Is that ##F_1x## or ##F_{1x}## on the left?
Why are you multiplying by d instead of dividing by d2?
"F" sub "1x" the exact same in the solution except without the "d".
d2 is in the term "k".
 
Doc Al said:
Why are you calculating the distance "x"?
I thought that is for the direction of the vector defined by a1 (in F1 = k*Q1*a2).
 
adamaero said:
"F" sub "1x" the exact same in the solution except without the "d".
d2 is in the term "k".
Hmm... yes I see that is how they have used k in the solution too, but it is very nonstandard. The usual is ##k=\frac 1{4\pi\epsilon_0}##.
adamaero said:
I thought that is for the direction of the vector defined by a1 (in F1 = k*Q1*a2).
A component is obtained by multiplying by the cosine of the angle. You need to divide by the hypotenuse.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: adamaero
haruspex said:
A component is obtained by multiplying by the cosine of the angle. You need to divide by the hypotenuse.
That makes sense where the "d"s cancel out...but I don't understand why the Pythagorean theorem can't be used alone.
cos(θ) = (d/2)/d
cos(θ) = 1/2

So it's the magnitude of "x"combined with the direction (defined by the cosine-term), and that's just what makes a vector...and not a scalar?
 
adamaero said:
So it's the magnitude of "x"combined with the direction (defined by the cosine-term),
No, it's the magnitude of the force multiplied by the cosine. The only relevance of the magnitude of x is in finding the value of the cosine, as x/d (which is √3/2, not 1/2).