Explanation of parallel axis theorem

Trollfaz
For a rotating system with mass m this theorem says that if it rotates about an axis distance x from but parallel to the axis through it's natural mass center (CM), then I moment of inertia is
$$I=I_{CM}+mx^2$$
My thinking is if one move the axis x distance away from the axis through it's CM, and we can treat the object as a point mass at it's CM, then it's as though we are moving that point x distance away from the axis of rotation, contributing another ##mx^2## moment of inertia, is this explanation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
So for instance I of sphere mass m is ##\frac{2}{5}mr^2## for radius=r. But in Newtonian mechanics, we can treat the sphere as a point mass in its geometrical center. Then if this axis of rotation is x away from it's CM, then the point mass is also x from the axis of rotation add another ##mx^2## to I. Assuming sphere is uniformly distributed in mass

Trollfaz said:
But in Newtonian mechanics, we can treat the sphere as a point mass in its geometrical center.
We most certainly cannot. Only for certain things such as the gravitational field outside the sphere does this hold.

In particular, the sphere has a moment of inertia around its CM - which the point particle does not.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem is a physics principle that relates the moment of inertia of an object around an axis to the moment of inertia of the same object around a parallel axis that is a certain distance away from the original axis.

2. How is the parallel axis theorem mathematically expressed?

The parallel axis theorem is mathematically expressed as \( I = I_{cm} + Md^2 \), where \( I \) is the moment of inertia around the parallel axis, \( I_{cm} \) is the moment of inertia around the object's center of mass, \( M \) is the mass of the object, and \( d \) is the distance between the two axes.

3. What is the significance of the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem allows us to easily calculate the moment of inertia of an object around any axis parallel to an axis passing through its center of mass. This is particularly useful in situations where the center of mass is not the axis of rotation.

4. Can the parallel axis theorem be applied to any object?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be applied to any object, regardless of its shape or size. As long as the mass distribution of the object is known, the moment of inertia around a parallel axis can be calculated using the theorem.

5. How does the parallel axis theorem relate to rotational motion?

The parallel axis theorem is essential in understanding and predicting the rotational motion of objects. By allowing us to calculate the moment of inertia around any axis, it helps us determine how an object will rotate when subjected to external forces.