Understanding Homotopies and Degree Invariance in Topology

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jgens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confusion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jgens
Gold Member
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
50
Consider [itex]h:S^1 \times I \to S^1[/itex] defined by [itex]h(s,t) = s^t[/itex]. This is a homotopy from the constant map 1 to the identity function on [itex]S^1[/itex]. On the other hand, it's easy to show that degree is homotopy invariant. However, we have [itex]\mathrm{deg}(1) = 0[/itex] while [itex]\mathrm{deg}(id) = 1[/itex]. Clearly, I've got something mixed up with how I'm thinking about homotopies. Can anybody shed some light on my error?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The map st is not continuous for t not equal to zero or 1. For example when you're taking t=-1/2, then numbers that look like .9999-.0001i get mapped near -1 and 1 gets mapped to 1.

To visualize this, as t goes from one to zero the image of the map st is smaller and smaller arcs of the circle. Right at the start the first thing you do is break the circle in order to make a non-full arc - this is where the homotopy is broken
 
Aw, I see what I messed up. I figured that [itex]h[/itex] was continuous, but you're right that it's clearly not. Thanks!