Parametric Lagrangian is a Homogeneous Form in Parametric Velocities?

In summary, the book "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos discusses the lagrangian ##L_1##, which is a homogeneous form of the first order in ##n+1## variables. This is defined as ##L_1 = L(q_1, \dots q_{n+1}; \frac{q_1'}{q_{n+1}'}, \dots , \frac{q_n'}{q_{n+1}'}) q_{n+1}'##, where ##q_i' = \frac{\mathrm d q_i}{\mathrm d \tau}## and ##q_{n+1} = t##. This fact is used to show that the
Wizard
TL;DR Summary
Confusion about a book "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos, equation (610.4) where Lanczos uses the fact that "The function ##L_1## is a homogeneous form of the first order..."
In the book "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos, the following statement is made about a lagrangian ##L_1## where time is given as an dependent parameter, and a new parameter ##\tau## is introduced as the independent variable, see (610.3) and (610.4) pg. 186,187 Dover Fourth edition:
The function ##L_1## is a homogeneous form of the first order in the ##n+1## variables ##q_1', \dots , q_{n+1}'##.
where ##L_1## was defined as
$$L_1 = L\left(q_1, \dots q_{n+1}; \frac{q_1'}{q_{n+1}'} , \dots , \frac{q_n'}{q_{n+1}'}\right) q_{n+1}' \text{ where } q_i' = \frac{\mathrm d q_i}{\mathrm d \tau} \text{ and } q_{n+1} = t \text{ (time)}.$$
This fact is used to show that the Hamiltonian, defined in the usual way for this new parametrisation, is identically zero.

I don't see how ##L_1## is a homogeneous form. Can someone explain this? I could understand if Lanczos was referring to the canonical integral, which is indeed a homogeneous form in the ##\dot{q_i}##. The canonical integral in the Hamiltonian formulation is:
$$A = \int_{t_0}^{t^1} \sum_i p_i \dot{q_i} - H((q_i)_i, (p_i)_i) \, \mathrm d t \, .$$
As I understand, the canonical integral for action has exactly the same variation as ##\int_{t_0}^{t_1} L \, \mathrm d t## under variations ##\delta q_i##. This is not an obvious fact to me but it seems this is the case, as shown in the text.

In general the function ##L_1## defined above is certainly not going to be a homogeneous form... i.e. take the lagrangian for planetary motion confined to the plane:
$$L(r,\theta;\dot{r},\dot{\theta}) = \frac{m}{2} \left( \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 \right) + \frac{GMm}{r}$$
where ##M## is the mass of the massive gravitational body (e.g. the Sun). Here, we have
$$L_1\left(r,\theta;\frac{\mathrm d r}{\mathrm d \tau}, \frac{\mathrm d \theta}{\mathrm d \tau}\right) = L\left(r,\theta;\frac{\mathrm d r}{\mathrm d \tau}\left(\frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau}\right)^{-1}, \frac{\mathrm d \theta}{\mathrm d \tau}\left(\frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau}\right)^{-1}\right)\frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau} = \frac{m}{2} \left( \left(\frac{\mathrm d r}{\mathrm d \tau}\right)^2 + r^2 \left(\frac{\mathrm d \theta}{\mathrm d \tau}\right)^2 \right) \left(\frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau}\right)^{-1} + \frac{GMm}{r} \frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau}$$
which is clearly not a homogeneous form in ##\frac{\mathrm d r}{\mathrm d \tau}, \frac{\mathrm d \theta}{\mathrm d \tau}, \frac{\mathrm d t}{\mathrm d \tau}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see my mistake now. The last equation actually is a homogeneous form of the first order. I had not realized that negative powers were permitted. I was not aware of Euler's theorem on homogeneous functions. This is mentioned in the text viz. (610.4) but I had not realized it would apply even to this kind of form. Problem solved

Likes vanhees71

1. What does it mean for a parametric Lagrangian to be homogeneous?

A parametric Lagrangian is considered homogeneous if it is invariant under a change in scale of the parameters. In other words, if the parameters are multiplied by a constant, the Lagrangian does not change.

2. How is a parametric Lagrangian related to parametric velocities?

A parametric Lagrangian is a function that depends on the parametric velocities of a system. It is used in the Lagrangian formalism to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of its generalized coordinates and velocities.

3. What is the significance of a homogeneous form in parametric velocities?

A homogeneous form in parametric velocities allows for the application of Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of a system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. This allows for the identification of important physical properties and symmetries of a system.

4. How is a parametric Lagrangian different from a regular Lagrangian?

A parametric Lagrangian is a function of both the generalized coordinates and velocities, while a regular Lagrangian is only a function of the coordinates. This allows for the inclusion of time-dependent systems in the Lagrangian formalism.

5. Can a parametric Lagrangian be used to describe any type of system?

Yes, a parametric Lagrangian can be used to describe a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and quantum systems. It is a powerful tool for analyzing the dynamics and symmetries of complex systems.