1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homotopy and a normal homotopy between maps

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    I can't see a difference between a rel{0,1} homotopy and a normal homotopy between maps.

my notes say:
    What does a rel{0,1} homotopy mean? Keeping the endpoints [itex] \alpha(0), \alpha(1) \in X[/itex] of a path [itex]\alpha : I \rightarrow X[/itex] fixed during a homotopy.

we do this anyway don't we?

and then more precisely they say:
    A homotopy rel {0,1} of two paths [itex] \alpha_0 , \alpha_1 : I \rightarrow X[/itex] with the same endpoints [itex]\alpha_0(0) = \alpha_1(0) , \alpha_0 (1) = \alpha_1(1) \in X[/itex]
    is a collection of paths [itex]h_t : I \rightarrow X ( t \in [0,1]) [/itex] witht he same endpoints [itex]h_t(0)=\alpha_0(0)=\alpha_1(0) , h_t(1) = \alpha_0(1) = \alpha_1(1)[/itex]
    such that [itex]h_0 = \alpha_0 , h_1 = \alpha_1[/itex] and such that the function
    [itex] h : I \times I \rightarrow X ; (s,t) \mapsto h_t(s)[/itex] is continuous.

I can't see much difference between this and the standard homotopy definition other than the fact that such a homotopy could only be defined for maps whose endpoints are the same to begin with.

also how does [itex]h_0 = \alpha_0 , h_1 = \alpha_1[/itex]???
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    Re: Homotopy

If two paths are homotopic relative to a subspace, then it just means that they take the same values on that subspace. You are right in saying that the only distinction between this and a general homotopy is that the maps must agree on this subspace. In this case the subspace is [tex]\{0,1\}[/tex].

Saying two paths are homotopic does not necessarily imply that they have the same endpoints.

[tex]h_0=\alpha_0[/tex] just means that at [tex]t=0, h[/tex] agrees with [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] for all [tex]s.[/tex] Similarly, at [tex]t=1, h[/tex] agrees with [tex]\alpha_1[/tex] for all [tex]s.[/tex] Think of two paths, with the same endpoints, and infinitely many paths in between them....as [tex]t[/tex] increases the path we are on changes, and as [tex]s[/tex] increases our position on the path (how far along that path we are) changes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook