Understanding Limiting Reagents and Pressure Calculations in Gas Reactions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exam Exam prep
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Lancelot59
Messages
640
Reaction score
1
NH3(g) + HCl(g) --> NH4Cl(s)

A 2.00 L flask containing 5.00 g of NH3 is connected to a 2.00 L flask containing 5.00 g of HCl. When the stopcock between the two flasks is opened the gases react until one of them is completely consumed. What is the final pressure in the apparatus when the reaction is complete? The temperature of the system is 25oC.

Well I found that HCl was the limiting reagent. I figured that since the equation is a 1:1 ratio I could just set the mols of NH4Cl as the mols of HCl and solve for the pressure using the ideal gas law.

Apparently there is another step, where I have to subract the mols of the two gasses, and then use THAT value in the gas law.

What is going on here? How is that value the number of mols in the NH4Cl?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I see now. Thanks. Wish me luck on the test today.

I really should've studied more. My other courses drove this test out of my head entirely.
Dumbass powers activate!