Understanding phase relationships for AC capacitor/inductor circuits

In summary, the current of an inductor lag the voltage for an inductor. However, this does not mean that the voltage source is 'independent' of the circuit, and the Vsupply phasor and Icircuit phasor should always be in phase.
JustStudying
Hi guys!
So I've just recently started learning about phase relationships for inductors and capacitors in an AC circuit. But a few things keep bugging me:

Say we have a RL circuit (a resistor + inductor + voltage source all in SERIES), and we we're asked to draw a phasor diagram for the voltages and currents.

when they say the current of an inductor lags the voltage for an inductor, does this mean:

1. The inductor causes the current through the whole circuit to lag (as all components are in series)?

2. I've always imagined the voltage source being kind of..'independent' of the circuit, so I've always thought that the Vsupply phasor and the Icircuit phasor should always be in phase no matter what the circuit components are. From what I've learned so far, this doesn't seem to be the case. E.g If a capacitor,resistor and voltage source were all in parallel, then..does the capacitor cause the supply voltage to 'lag' the circuit current? -> shouldn't the supply voltage and circuit current be in phase?
can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks guys :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustStudying said:
Hi guys!
So I've just recently started learning about phase relationships for inductors and capacitors in an AC circuit. But a few things keep bugging me:

Say we have a RL circuit (a resistor + inductor + voltage source all in SERIES), and we we're asked to draw a phasor diagram for the voltages and currents.

when they say the current of an inductor lags the voltage for an inductor, does this mean:

1. The inductor causes the current through the whole circuit to lag (as all components are in series)?

Yes.

JustStudying said:
2. I've always imagined the voltage source being kind of..'independent' of the circuit, so I've always thought that the Vsupply phasor and the Icircuit phasor should always be in phase no matter what the circuit components are.

No, that is not true. The voltage source is independent, and the same current flows through each element. The voltage across them has a phase shift with respect to the current. You can draw the vector of the supposed current along the x axis, and draw a vector for each voltage, and add them to get the resultant. If you get that the voltage leads the current with some angle θ, the current lags with respect to the voltage with the same angle.

JustStudying said:
From what I've learned so far, this doesn't seem to be the case. E.g If a capacitor,resistor and voltage source were all in parallel, then..does the capacitor cause the supply voltage to 'lag' the circuit current? -> shouldn't the supply voltage and circuit current be in phase?
can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks guys :shy:

Connecting an AC voltage source to the parallel connected capacitor, inductor and resistor, the current has different phase on the different circuit elements with respect to the voltage. The net current is the sum of all currents, it also has some phase difference.

Have you learned about complex impedances?

ehild

@ehild We've touched on it, but not alot

since the inductor causes the circuit current to lag, then for a capacitor in parallel with a resistor and also in parallel with a voltage source, does the capacitor cause the circuit voltage to lag?

If you connect a DC current source across a capacitor the capacitor gets charged. The voltage is proportional on the charge of the capacitor:U=Q/C. Initially there is no charge and the voltage is zero. Later the charge gradually increases and so is the voltage. You can say that the voltage lags behind the current or the current leads the voltage.

With an AC voltage source the voltage across the capacitor is pi/2 phase angle behind the current. That is equivalent to say that the current leads the voltage by pi/2 phase.

In case of parallel R, L, C across a voltage source, the voltage is given. The current flowing through the resistor is in phase with the voltage. The capacitor current leads the voltage, the inductor current lags behind the voltage.

ehild

Attachments

• phasor3.JPG
    phasor3.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 537
ah! thanks so much!

1. What is a phase relationship in AC capacitor/inductor circuits?

A phase relationship in AC circuits refers to the alignment of the voltage and current waves. In a capacitor, the current wave leads the voltage wave by 90 degrees, while in an inductor, the voltage wave leads the current wave by 90 degrees.

2. How does a capacitor affect the phase relationship in an AC circuit?

A capacitor causes a 90 degree phase shift between the voltage and current waves in an AC circuit. This means that the current wave leads the voltage wave by 90 degrees, causing them to be out of sync.

3. What about inductors? How do they affect the phase relationship?

An inductor also causes a 90 degree phase shift in an AC circuit, but in the opposite direction. This means that the voltage wave leads the current wave by 90 degrees, also causing them to be out of sync.

4. Why is understanding phase relationships important in AC capacitor/inductor circuits?

Understanding phase relationships is important because it helps us analyze and predict the behavior of AC circuits. By knowing the phase relationship, we can determine the amount of current and voltage in a circuit at any given time, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

5. How can we calculate the phase relationship in an AC circuit?

The phase relationship can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, and the circuit's impedance. The phase angle, measured in degrees or radians, can be determined using the formula arctan (X/R), where X is the reactance of the component and R is the resistance of the circuit.