Understanding phase shift w/ time of 2 different frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the phase shift between two waves of different frequencies that are completely in phase at time zero. The equation is 2πf1t−2πf2t, where 2π is the number of radians in one wavelength. The analogy of two cars traveling on a circular course or the hour and minute hands on a clock can help with understanding the concept of phase. The conversation ends with a brief explanation of how any angle units can be used in the equation.
uniqueguy
Hi all,

I hope this question is of an acceptable format to ask about here. I'm just having trouble trying to get a conceptual understanding of the following.

I've been told that if I'm given two different frequencies that are completely in phase at time equal to zero, then I can find their phase shift after a certain period of time with the following equation: ##2\pi f_1t-2\pi f_2t##

I'm not certain where this comes from or what the intuition behind using it is. Can anyone help me through trying to understand this equation and its use in this example situation?

I appreciate any help with this matter!
-Uniqueguy

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first thing would be to ask yourself what the phase of a wave means. from your equation
uniqueguy said:
2πf1t−2πf2t
for the phase difference you've shown how you might calculate the phase of a oscillation, but what does it mean? Drawing a graph of position against time for an oscillation might come in handy when thinking about this.

An exactly analogous scenario is two cars traveling down the road. One moves at speed 60 and the other at speed 61. Write an equation to express the distance between the two cars. Now, if the two cars travel on a circular course rather than a straight line, their position on the course is like the phase.

Edit: An even more familiar analogy is the distance between the hour hand and the minute hand on a clock.

Likes jim hardy
anorlunda said:
An exactly analogous scenario is two cars traveling down the road. One moves at speed 60 and the other at speed 61. Write an equation to express the distance between the two cars. Now, if the two cars travel on a circular course rather than a straight line, their position on the course is like the phase.

Edit: An even more familiar analogy is the distance between the hour hand and the minute hand on a clock.
Looking at your analogous scenario has given me a much better idea of what I'm looking at.

The frequency is the number of wavelengths of a wave in one second. By multiplying by a certain period of time, we get the total number of wavelengths that the wave propagated in that time. And so, by multiplying by ##2\pi##, we're saying that each wavelength is ##2\pi## radians, and getting the total number of radians that the wave travels. By comparing these values, we can get the phase difference.

I've still got just a slight conceptual block when considering the multiplication of ##2\pi##. In my above understanding, we're equating ##2\p## radians to one wavelength, hence the multiplication. How do we know that one wavelength is equivalent to ##2\pi## radians?

Thanks for your help!
-Uniqueuy

uniqueguy said:
How do we know that one wavelength is equivalent to ##2\pi## radians?

If you draw a graph of y=sin(x), where x is the phase in radians, think about when this function repeats itself.

uniqueguy said:
Looking at your analogous scenario has given me a much better idea of what I'm looking at.

The frequency is the number of wavelengths of a wave in one second. By multiplying by a certain period of time, we get the total number of wavelengths that the wave propagated in that time. And so, by multiplying by ##2\pi##, we're saying that each wavelength is ##2\pi## radians, and getting the total number of radians that the wave travels. By comparing these values, we can get the phase difference.

I've still got just a slight conceptual block when considering the multiplication of ##2\pi##. In my above understanding, we're equating ##2\p## radians to one wavelength, hence the multiplication. How do we know that one wavelength is equivalent to ##2\pi## radians?

Thanks for your help!
-Uniqueuy

You can use any angle units you want.

Cycles per second * ##2\pi## = radians per second.
Cycles per second * 360 = degrees per second.

1. What is phase shift with time in relation to frequencies?

Phase shift with time refers to the delay or difference in the timing of two different frequencies. It is a measure of the relative positions of the two waves at a specific point in time.

2. How does phase shift affect the relationship between two frequencies?

The amount of phase shift between two frequencies can affect their relationship and how they interact with each other. For example, if the phase shift is 0 degrees, the two frequencies are in phase and will reinforce each other. On the other hand, a phase shift of 180 degrees will cause the two frequencies to cancel each other out.

3. What causes phase shift between two frequencies?

Phase shift between two frequencies can be caused by factors such as a change in medium, distance traveled, or the presence of obstacles. It can also occur naturally in certain systems, such as in electrical circuits or in sound waves.

4. How is phase shift measured?

Phase shift is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be calculated by determining the time delay between two frequencies or by comparing the amplitude and frequency of the two waves at a specific point in time.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding phase shift with time and frequencies?

Understanding phase shift between two frequencies is important in various fields, such as signal processing, telecommunications, and audio engineering. It is also used in technologies such as radar and sonar for detecting and locating objects. Additionally, understanding phase shift can help in troubleshooting and optimizing system performance.