Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Understanding Quantum Corral images

1. Jan 2, 2017 #1
    Hello Forum,

The iconic images of quantum corrals are made by assembling individual atoms using a STM.
    I am still unclear on what the image is truly representing. Do the ripples represent the probability density? Of what? How is that possible? I can see how we can mathematically calculate and graph wavefunctions and associated probability density functions but I don't see how we can physically see them with the STM...

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The high spots in the image are regions where the current through the tip of the STM is greater.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Been a while since this very correct answer was given. Is fog completely happy with this answer ? Because I'm still curious to know what causes this current to vary (which it doesn't for the 'constant current' practical implementations where the tip is moved up and down :smile:). Under Procedure (NOT under Principle of operation) I find that the tunneling current depends on the density of states. The TeachersManual is a bit more elaborate: On p 5 the work functions of tip and sample are featuring, and again the densities (tip and sample) of states.

Wonderful ! And all this info with just a little Googling. Time to brush up solid state physics, Fermi levels and such !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted